Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Yale 8M or 11M keys for bicentric cylinders

Hi,

According to Yale catalog no. 26, Yale made the 8M (5-pin) and 11M (6-pin) key blanks specifically for bicentric cylinders when they were first introduced. On pages XXXIV and XXXV, the bicentric system is explained and illustrations of the cylinder and key provided. I have two bicentric mortise cylinders with the same keyways as shown in catalog #26. and would like to find the appropriate Yale keys to complete these locks.

They mention that the two plugs of the bicentric cylinder were intentionally designed with reversed sections to prevent change keys from entering the master plug & vice-versa. However, I see no reference in the catalog to a blank number for a reverse of the 8M or 11M. Are these keys or any equivalents still made? The closest I can find is the B7R keyway in the current Yale catalog. I assume the reverse would be a B7L?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    Hi,

According to Yale catalog no. 26, Yale made the 8M (5-pin) and 11M (6-pin) key blanks specifically for bicentric cylinders when they were first introduced. On pages XXXIV and XXXV, the bicentric system is explained and illustrations of the cylinder and key provided. I have two bicentric mortise cylinders with the same keyways as shown in catalog #26. and would like to find the appropriate Yale keys to complete these locks.

They mention that the two plugs of the bicentric cylinder were intentionally designed with reversed sections to prevent change keys from entering the master plug & vice-versa. However, I see no reference in the catalog to a blank number for a reverse of the 8M or 11M. Are these keys or any equivalents still made? The closest I can find is the B7R keyway in the current Yale catalog. I assume the reverse would be a B7L?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
    It appears that the Yale 8M and 11M are indeed 8B7R and 11B7R respectively.
    8B7R crosses to 15 Keil, 887 Old Ilco and 2602J Graham
    11B7R crosses to Y37 Curtis, 15A Keil, 887A Old Ilco, 2602G Graham and 3510A Hazelton

There was also apparently a reverse, 8B7L and 11B7L.
    8B7L crosses to 16 Keil, 887R Old Ilco, and 2602K Graham
    11B7L crosses to Y38 Curtis, 16A Keil, 887RA Old Ilco and 2602H Graham

The thumbnail shows all four Graham Mfg. Co. versions from their No. 44 Catalog c.1944, click to enlarge. All these aftermarket blanks are long obsolete, originals may still be available to order from Yale.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Graham2602G-2602K.jpg  

Default Thanks

That's exactly what I was looking for--perhaps now I might find the blanks...
    Last edited by YALE7750; 29-01-16 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    That's exactly what I was looking for--perhaps now I might find the blanks...
    Did you have any luck locating these blanks? I'm very interested in finding 11B7L key blanks for the bicentric cylinder. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Default None as of yet....

Quote Originally Posted by boolean View Post
    Did you have any luck locating these blanks? I'm very interested in finding 11B7L key blanks for the bicentric cylinder. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    No, haven't acquired any blanks for these yet...have two Bicentric mortise cylinders, have 1 master key to fit both (I assume it is the master since it works the upper plug with the gearing) but no change keys, would be happy even to find precut keys for them.

Thread Information