Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Real or Fake?

Default Real or Fake?

I never sell my art as "vintage". But this looks fake:http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-VINTAGE-...MAAOSwX~dWiB5y

Default Not what it appears to be

In my opinion, the lock offered in that listing is a recent casting. It appears to be of poor quality workmanship. The heavy file marks on all surfaces is a dead give away. The casting of the front face lacks fine detail and has several "blobs" that just would not be in older American locks. The lack of patina on the lock body, but on the key is also a red flag. Also note that there just isn't enough natural wear on the body.

In my opinion, this lock was made to look much older than its true age.

I hope this guides you in making an informed decision.

I very much agree. And, it would appear that the seller's of these "fakes" make it appear as if you can ask them any questions, which is a form of reverse-psychology.

Default Not what it appears to be

In my opinion, the lock offered in that listing is a recent casting. It appears to be of poor quality workmanship. The heavy file marks on all surfaces is a dead give away. The casting of the front face lacks fine detail and has several "blobs" that just would not be in older American locks. The lack of patina on the lock body, but on the key is also a red flag. Also note that there just isn't enough natural wear on the body.

In my opinion, this lock was made to look much older than its true age.

I hope this guides you in making an informed decision.

Looks like somebody paid over $60 for it, poor bastard

Default definitely fakes

These started showing up in 2006, and there are several different markings: C and S Ry, C RR of NJ, NYS&W, B&O (fantasy marking), PRR, N&W NCRW.......... All locks look recently cast / machined. All have the same style keys - and the same bit. The locks have large oversized keyholes. And the best giveaway is the "tab" at the side of the dust cover. They were even listed in a train hobby catalog - $35 each + postage. Several were sold on Ebay by a dealer down in Tenn as having been found "at an estate sale" etc. He got some big money at first. More recently they turn up being sold by unknowing dealers, or sellers that DO know they are fakes, but conveniently leave out the words "Repro" or "recently made" etc....................

Quote Originally Posted by njsrr View Post
    These started showing up in 2006, and there are several different markings: C and S Ry, C RR of NJ, NYS&W, B&O (fantasy marking), PRR, N&W NCRW.......... All locks look recently cast / machined. All have the same style keys - and the same bit. The locks have large oversized keyholes. And the best giveaway is the "tab" at the side of the dust cover. They were even listed in a train hobby catalog - $35 each + postage. Several were sold on Ebay by a dealer down in Tenn as having been found "at an estate sale" etc. He got some big money at first. More recently they turn up being sold by unknowing dealers, or sellers that DO know they are fakes, but conveniently leave out the words "Repro" or "recently made" etc....................
    That's great information, which is why I post here where experts like yourself know the history.

For future reference here are the images of the lock in question (since the eBay auction will disappear).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	14998 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	14999 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	15000

Thread Information