Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Ely-Norris door adjustment instructions in old post

20 July 2016

I saw instructions on how to adjust an Ely-Norris cannonball door posted some time ago. I cannot locate now.

Does someone remember the name of the thread?

Thanks,

Texaschilli

Default I want to date my Ely Norris. Maybe marry it.

6 August 2015

I have an Ely Norris cannonball with dual outside locks. Yale 101 1/2 I believe. The safe body is number 3393 I believe. The number is on several components.

The timelock is a Yale Y361. The number on the brass door of my safe's timelock case is 1418. The three clocks are sequentially numbered Y4506, Y4504, and Y4505.

There seems to be a portion of "American Genius" posted online that says the Y361 was manufactured starting about 1908 and that some 3,000 were made of which about 300 survive. That text shows pictures of case No. 991 with movements Y3259, Y3260, and Y3261. It suggests this case is circa 1915 I think if I am reading it right.

Doing the math, my case #1418 is 427 units later so with three locks per unit the range of my clocks would be 4640--4642 so my clocks are about 50 cases out of order.

Can anyone tell me when my safe was made? Am I correct that if could not possibly been manufactured before 1908 as that is the year Yale started making the Y361 movement? And if the American Genius article is correct my safe was made 427 Yale Y361 timelocks after No. 991 circa 1915?

Texaschilli

Default cannonball door cradle

4 January 2017

I have an Ely Norris cannonball. I have the body all prepped and primed and sanded and ready for paint.

I have the cradle off the door and mostly sanded and primed.

Could any one give me some pointers on the pros and cons of dissembling the cradle or door yoke? And what to look out for and how to take the yoke apart?

Texas Chilli

Thread Information