Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Ely Norris

12 February 2016

Thanks for the pictures. My safe is really rough in the area inside the ring gear where the combination locks are. I see it appears to just have been painted in that flower shop safe.

I looked up the density of manganese steel and it is 7.8 grams @ cubic centimeter. 1 gram @ cc is equivalent to 62.428 pounds @ cubic foot, so one cubic foot of manganese steel would weigh 491.9 pounds. I suspect there is every bit of a cubic foot of steel in the door plug even after all the milling.

texaschilli

Default Yale 101 1/2 on Ely Norris cannonball safe question

6 March 2016

I am ready to strip and prep my safe for painting. The twin dials are merely pressed on the shafts. A tight friction fit is all that hold them.

I want to take the ring off that has the index mark used to dial the combination. These two rings are each secured by three screws. There is an oval slot for each screw so there is some room for adjustment.

I want to remove the rings and also remove the large steel ring gear so I can get at the center of the door to sand and paint it.

It looks like it has some kind of milling marks from a lathe but no longer has any kind of paint or finish remaining.

My question is how much trouble am I letting myself in for by removing the rings? Do they have to go back to exactly the same place to be able to dial the combination correctly, or is there some play allowed?

Right now both locks are set on "50." I have a change key and the safe came with a very old piece of paper that gives the instructions to change the combinations.

Can anyone tell me If I have a dual combination or a redundant combination and how easy is it to set new combinations, or should I give the instruction sheet to a locksmith?

If I mess it up, how difficult is it to set a combination if I have the change key?

Any suggestions are always appreciated.

No one seems to be asking questions here but me.

Texaschilli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $_3-1.jpeg   CAM01692.jpg   CAM01693.jpg   CAM01690.jpg  

Exact replacement of the dial rings is dependent on whether the combination was set with the proper tolerance to begin with. That is checked by dialing the comb a little higher and a little lower, usually by 1/2 number. Since the lock worked before pulling the dials and you are planning on resetting them, this isn't so much a concern. However an incorrectly mounted dial ring can result in dial binding, so put them back on exactly where they were. That Yale double dial lock is a redundant model. I would recommend hiring someone to set the combs. Doug

Default Change instructions

Do you have original Yale 101.5 change instructions? Would you mind posting a picture of it?

DH

Default Yale 101.5 Change instructions

Yes Sir,

I believe I do. The paper is very brown. I made a photocopy but it is dark. I have a cousin who is a photographer and he is going to try to take a picture of the instruction sheet.

It is even humorous. Warns to look over your shoulder lest a burglar see you dial the combo.

I will try to post.

I also have the operating instructions for an Ely Norris that came with the safe. This is also on dark brown paper and hard to reproduce. I am not getting much encouragement from local framers on how to mount and preserve to prevent acid damage.

Texaschilli

Yes Sir,

I believe I do. The paper is very brown. I made a photocopy but it is dark. I have a cousin who is a photographer and he is going to try to take a picture of the instruction sheet.

It is even humorous. Warns to look over your shoulder lest a burglar see you dial the combo.

I will try to post.

I also have the operating instructions for an Ely Norris that came with the safe. This is also on dark brown paper and hard to reproduce. I am not getting much encouragement from local framers on how to mount and preserve to prevent acid damage.

Texaschilli

Yes Sir,

I will try to post.

Texaschilli

Default Ely Norris Change Instructions

I have tried to make a copy to post the instructions but the paper is very dark brown from age and I cannot scan it to post.

Texaschilli

How about taking photos of the originals?

DH

Yes. I said that. My cousin is an amateur photographer. He can never get a divorce or his wife would get all his Nikons.

I have combination change instructions and another page of how to operate bolt lock for yale 361.

The paper is old and dark brown. Hard to make a copy and fragile.

Texaschilli

Thread Information