Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Skillman Mortise thunb entry

My neighbor has this entry lock on her front door. She is 87 years old and I help whenever I can. Her inside door handle is very loose and I have never attempted a repair on this type of door entry set. Is there any information on how to tighten up the inside handle? It has a thumb latch on the outside and a brass handle on the inside. To lock the door you just lift the thumb latch on the outside. Don't want to mess with it unless I have an idea what is inside. The inside handle is an obvious set screw but what holds the square rod for lack of a better word into the mortise? Do I ha to completely disassemble lock to repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    My neighbor has this entry lock on her front door. She is 87 years old and I help whenever I can. Her inside door handle is very loose and I have never attempted a repair on this type of door entry set. Is there any information on how to tighten up the inside handle? It has a thumb latch on the outside and a brass handle on the inside. To lock the door you just lift the thumb latch on the outside. Don't want to mess with it unless I have an idea what is inside. The inside handle is an obvious set screw but what holds the square rod for lack of a better word into the mortise? Do I ha to completely disassemble lock to repair?
    Mortise locks with an outside thumbpiece use a 2-piece split or sectional spindle for the inside knob. It has a hook on one end to retain it in the lock hub after the knob is in place. If the knob is loose, it may just require loosening the screw and tightening if the spindle is threaded; or finding a closer hole to the escutcheon if the spindle has tapped holes. The screw or threaded knob shank could also be loose or worn. The thumbnail shows the two main types of sectional spindles, click image to enlarge; some may be "universal" having both tapped holes and being threaded. If that doesn't work, you need a locksmith!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SplitSpindlesTaylor.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	14897

Pete Schifferli

are parts available thru any vendors that you know of? I guess the best thing to do is remove the inside knob that should tell me more.

Thank you for the reply.

are parts available thru any vendors that you know of? I guess the best thing to do is remove the inside knob that should tell me more.

Thank you for the reply.
    Let us know how that works out, I have a very limited supply of spindles and knob set screws if you need them.

Pete

thanks for the reply. The handle set screw is heavily corroded. you cannot even tell it is a screw. I get home to late to play with it during the week so it has to wait to till this weekend. Thinking at the very minimum it will need a spindle. Thanks Again, glenn

If you do find a spindle problem, with regard to the handle fastening properly, you can always take it out, turn the spindle and likely find an
    area which hasn't yet been abused.

Thanks for the advice.

removed the knob and it is threaded. it seems like the spindle is loose inside the mortise. does anybody still make the spindle?

removed the knob and it is threaded. it seems like the spindle is loose inside the mortise. does anybody still make the spindle?
    As I attempted to explain in my post of 1/6 above, the spindle is likely sectional or two-piece and should be loose with the knob removed. Screwing the knob on the spindle keeps the two pieces together. You will be able to extract one portion of the spindle by pulling straight out, which will free the hooked side from the hub; and this too can now be pulled out. Unless the spindle or knob shank are stripped you should be able to properly tighten the knob on the spindle. In the unlikely event you do need a spindle, I have a few new 2-5/8" long 20 TPI (some use 16 or 18 TPI). $4.25 ea. + $3.00 S&H, PM me if interested.

Pete

Thank you for the reply. yes removed knob after set screw loosened. spindle is threaded. Inspected spindle which appeared to be ok. Did not remove it. Reinstalled knob by screwing it on till looseness was minimal but still play while turning knob.

Thread Information