Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Need a little help identfying a Lockwood mortise

Newbie to the world of mortise locks. I picked up a vintage exterior Lockwood a couple weeks ago. I'm installing it in a used back door for our 1936 Dutch Colonial. The lock appears to be in great condition - except for some minor rust. All springs appears to be in place and everything works. I just got the cylinder keyed today. Can the group help with identifying the lock? The only marking is T5000 with a 4 underneath on the underside of the cover. Nothing valid comes up on a Google search for T5000. See attached photos. BTW - The only items missing from the lock are the strikeplate and a couple 1/4-20 brass slothead set screws for the doorknobs. Are those available? For the strikeplate; I tried four architectural salvage yards - nothing. For the set screws; I tried the locksmith, an old time hardware store and the big orange box depot - only hex head stainless steel set screws are available. As an option, I can make my own set screws from standard brass screws, but would prefer the real deal. P.S - I will be rebuilding an additional 20 interior mortise locks and the main entry door mortise lock as well! Should be a great adventure!! Thanks, Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lockwood Overall.jpg   Lockwood inside cover.JPG   Lockwood workings.jpg  

Congrats on the restoration efforts, most people would be just as quick to trash old well made hardware for some filler plates and light-duty Home Cheapo knobsets.

You didn't mention what area of the country you're in, with that info someone here (myself included) may be able to direct you to some local resources. When properly aligned, the setscrews on the knobs should (ideally) be oriented between the 4-8 oclock positions. In other words the setscrews should not normally be seen, the stainless hex would be a little stronger and less prone to stripping or breaking as with brass slotted ones. Whatever you use make SURE your tools are not even slightly worn, if allan key, it should be brand name. if flathead it should be brand name and SHARP, as well as the correct size to mate the screw. (VERY IMPORTANT)

As for the strike plate, Kaba-Ilco makes a darn nice replacement that will fit MANY old mortise locks part number 774F-XX-11 (replace xx with finish code). They also make other sizes including common interior ones. A company called Progressive Hardware supplies TONS of spindles and some parts like escutchon trims. Both of these companies ONLY distribute to retail stores. Contacting the most full service locksmith in your area, they would have little trouble ordering these parts for you.

Hope this helps some!
    GOOD LUCK.
    --Vince

Vince,

Thanks for reply. Nothing better than old stuff.
    I love restoring pretty much anything: cars, airplanes, tools, boat motors...and now a whole house!
    I always seem to find old unloved and forgotten items and bring them home in the hopes breathing new life into them. Swap meets are a BAD place for me. ;-)

I'm located in Florida.

Thanks for the tips on the set screw location. I'll make sure they are hidden and flush with the knob surface.
    I'm a little nervous about using the stainless set screw in a brass doorknob. I'm thinking a little too much torque and the weaker brass could strip. I'll keep on the lookout for some real brass ones...or make my own.

Awesome lead on the strike plate. I'll follow-up on that. The challenge with the Lockwood is the very narrow throat between the latch and deadbolt. During my lock foraging at the four salvage yards, I only ran across maybe three or four dozen strikes. Of the dozen or so exterior strikes found, none had a narrow throat that would fit the lock.
    If Kaba-Ilco has what I need, I'll stop back at the locksmith in the hope that he can order for me.

Thanks for the leads on the plates and spindles - I may need those for the rest of the house.
    For my first lock I was lucky that the lock came with a split shaft and I was able to find both exterior and interior decorative plates. It was a fun day at the salvage yards!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by peerless View Post
    Both of these companies ONLY distribute to retail stores. Contacting the most full service locksmith in your area, they would have little trouble ordering these parts for you.
    --Vince
    Au contraire, Ilco and Progressive are both sold by locksmith wholesalers like Accredited Lock Supply and others and could thus be sourced thru most retail locksmiths. Progressive offers 1/4"-20 slotted door knob set screws in brass finish, their #1/4-20 set; as well as various replacement Lockwood spindles which are 18 threads per inch (TPI). Here is a link to the website for Progressive Hardware Co.:
    http://www.progressivehardware.net/

Pete Schifferli

Pete,

Many thanks.
    Progressive looks like a great resource. Only hiccup is the 1/4-20 brass set screws come in a 144 count lot. Uff Da!
    I have a lot of doors - but not THAT many. ;-)

I'll chat with my locksmith about ordering. Hopefully I can order less that 144.

Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MnM3 View Post
    Pete,

Many thanks.
    Progressive looks like a great resource. Only hiccup is the 1/4-20 brass set screws come in a 144 count lot. Uff Da!
    I have a lot of doors - but not THAT many. ;-)
    I'll chat with my locksmith about ordering. Hopefully I can order less that 144.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    I could send you two set screws if that helps any, but can't spare more than that. eMail me with your snail mail address if interested:
    PschiffeATaol.com change AT to @.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the gracious offer, but I can get by with a couple of handmade ones for now.
    I found a 12-pack at House of Antique Hardware that I'll pick up along with a bunch of other items I need for the
    mortise-O-mania as I dive into to the deep end of door restoration.

I installed the lock today and it works perfectly with the new keys. I'll upload a pic up once I get the escutcheons installed.

Thanks for the help!

Mark

As promised. Photos of installed lock with escutcheons.

I've also attached a couple shots of the mortise area wood rebuild process for those interested.
    For the wood repair I used a product called Woodepox made by Abatron . Amazing stuff.
    It was reasonably priced, easy to use and could be worked exactly like wood once cured. I highly recommend it for major infill work in wood doors.
    http://www.abatron.com/shop-online/woodepox.html

The project worked out better than I thought. The Lockwood lock was in great shape and re-keying was afternoon visit to the locksmith. There are still a couple small items to do; correct slot head brass screws, brass setscrews and shaft spacers. But all in all it was fun, inexpensive and rewarding to install the old lock in our house. It should provide many years of service.

Thanks for tips - I'll be back once work begins on the front door (adding a formal handle with thumbpiece) and rebuilding all the interior mortise locks.

Best regards,
    Mark
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information