Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mills key

Default Mills key

Hello.
    I have a Mills slot machine lock where the key was broken off. I have removed broken key from lock and trying to find a replacement key. The lock is part # D22879. Does anyone by chance have a key for this lock?

Thank you

Picture of the lock and what you have of the key?

Quote Originally Posted by generalfirst View Post
    Hello.
    I have a Mills slot machine lock where the key was broken off. I have removed broken key from lock and trying to find a replacement key. The lock is part # D22879. Does anyone by chance have a key for this lock?
    Thank you
    Original Mills sidewinder type locks, aftermarket replacements and key blanks for sale at the link:
    http://www.crowriver.com/cs/cs003pg4.htm
    Some locksmiths have the equipment to cut a new key from the broken piece that you have if this is a Bell Lock key:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l225.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	14875

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    Picture of the lock and what you have of the key?
    Dean
    I have enclosed pictures
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by generalfirst View Post
    Dean
    I have enclosed pictures
    Since the broken original is brass, it may be possible to 'silver solder' the pieces together, I use Sta-Brite:

Name:	xStayBrite.JPG,qw=400,afit=max.pagespeed.ic.3LZ-L5wtSt.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	14885
    Pete Schifferli

Default Reattach key

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Since the broken original is brass, it may be possible to 'silver solder' the pieces together, I use Sta-Brite:

Name:	xStayBrite.JPG,qw=400,afit=max.pagespeed.ic.3LZ-L5wtSt.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	14885
    Pete Schifferli
    Unfortunately I do not have the head of the key

Pete, you might want to try using a hard silver solder instead of soft solders like Sta Brite. Granted they are more difficult to use, but there is a considerable increase in strength. This is especially handy when it comes to the limited contact areas of broken keys. One of the keys I use, where the blank was extended from a 5 to a 6 pin, was soldered together over 25 years ago. It is heavily worn now but never broken. I use Harris Safety Silv 45 and get it at a refrigeration supply house. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Pete, you might want to try using a hard silver solder instead of soft solders like Sta Brite. Granted they are more difficult to use, but there is a considerable increase in strength. This is especially handy when it comes to the limited contact areas of broken keys. One of the keys I use, where the blank was extended from a 5 to a 6 pin, was soldered together over 25 years ago. It is heavily worn now but never broken. I use Harris Safety Silv 45 and get it at a refrigeration supply house. Doug
    Agreed Doug, however Safety-Silv 45 is a brazing alloy which I believe requires an acetylene torch to produce sufficient heat; something which we do not have access to at this time.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Agreed Doug, however Safety-Silv 45 is a brazing alloy which I believe requires an acetylene torch to produce sufficient heat; something which we do not have access to at this time.

Pete Schifferli
    I use Johnson Matthey Silver Flo 55 for 2 in 1 tips and it is unbelievably strong. Last week I snapped a blank during an impressioning attempt on a Yale padlock. The Silver Flo repaired the key and it didn't break again despite heavy stress. It is a easy alloy to work with, flowing well with a B&Q blow torch.

cheers, Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by YALESLEVIATHAN View Post
    I use Johnson Matthey Silver Flo 55 for 2 in 1 tips and it is unbelievably strong. Last week I snapped a blank during an impressioning attempt on a Yale padlock. The Silver Flo repaired the key and it didn't break again despite heavy stress. It is a easy alloy to work with, flowing well with a B&Q blow torch.
    cheers, Nick.
    Apparently not sold on this side of the pond!

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information