Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Identification/Transportation

Working with the new property owners trying to find some more information on the safe (just like everyone go figure right) Can add more pictures if it would be helpful. Trying to figure out the best way to move it...Its on the 6th floor and we would need to get it on a elevator, thinking maybe a pallet jack?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe.jpg   safe2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyCle View Post
    Working with the new property owners trying to find some more information on the safe (just like everyone go figure right) Can add more pictures if it would be helpful. Trying to figure out the best way to move it...Its on the 6th floor and we would need to get it on a elevator, thinking maybe a pallet jack?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    I would move it with a pallet jack and strap it down. Where are you located ?

It would be a good idea to estimate its actual weight and compare that to the elevator's maximum rating as well as the pallet jack's maximum.

I'd also suggest getting an estimate from a moving company. These things can be dangerous.

Thanks for the input...Currently located in the Warehouse District in Cleveland Ohio.

The owner is a very much do it himself kinda guy, moving company is not even a option, I somehow will be involved moving this so I have that to look forward too!!

Any good points of initial research to start when doing some research on the history of these things???

Thanks!!

Would your boss be interested in selling the safe? Im also located in cleveland oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkozyk View Post
    Would your boss be interested in selling the safe? Im also located in cleveland oh.
    Thats a good question...I'll have to get back with you on that one. I don't think he will make a decision until I have done some more homework on it! Where in CLE you located??

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyCle View Post
    Thats a good question...I'll have to get back with you on that one. I don't think he will make a decision until I have done some more homework on it! Where in CLE you located??
    I'm located in the tremont neighborhood on west side. Is the dial removed?

I believe it is stored inside a box behind the second set of doors. The owner is inspecting it today, I'll keep you posted!

Ok thanks Dave Kozyk 4406232823

I would start with how much the elevator can handle. I would start to think about removing the doors and move the box as a separate part if that elevator is old. But to be done safely will need blocks and several guys to do that without damage to people or the safe. A heavy Engine hoist with cargo straps might help get the doors off and on. Safe that size can weigh in at 1 to 1.5 ton depending on how and who made it. Most are .75 to 1 ton. If the pallet jack can lift it then you know it is at or under the rating of the jack. But that Elevator would be my worry. Cleveland isn't a young town. Oh and YES strap that baby down to the pallet jack, I totally agree.

Thread Information