Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Complete Novice bought a storefront that had some antiques in it

Hi, I don't know anything about keys or locks or antiques, either. Except that I love history and am fascinated by engineering. I just moved from Seattle to Maine and purchased a building built in 1796 that has housed an antique store. Along with the purchase came a beautiful antique trunk. I don't have a picture of the trunk right now but this is the lock.

I don't even know what kind of key that would take...a barrel key? I hate to be so ignorant, but I've searched the web and I can't find any good tutorials about locks. Hopefully you'll look kindly on my lack of knowledge and help me out. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lock.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by anngonzalez View Post
    Hi, I don't know anything about keys or locks or antiques, either. Except that I love history and am fascinated by engineering. I just moved from Seattle to Maine and purchased a building built in 1796 that has housed an antique store. Along with the purchase came a beautiful antique trunk. I don't have a picture of the trunk right now but this is the lock.

I don't even know what kind of key that would take...a barrel key? I hate to be so ignorant, but I've searched the web and I can't find any good tutorials about locks. Hopefully you'll look kindly on my lack of knowledge and help me out. Thanks

That image is too small to tell, is there a code number or maker's logo anywhere on the lock? Back ca. 1930s the legendary locksmith Barney Zion, of Majestic Lock Co.; published the Majestic Trunk Key Book Vol. 1 followed by Majestic Trunk Key Book Vol. 2 in 1951. Although long obsolete, these publications contain silhouettes of hundreds of various trunk keys from which a locksmith could fabricate a key if the lock maker and code number are known. Do you know the lock manufacturer and/or code number?

Pete Schifferli

Default I'll check

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    That image is too small to tell, is there a code number or maker's logo anywhere on the lock? Back ca. 1930s the legendary locksmith Barney Zion, of Majestic Lock Co.; published the Majestic Trunk Key Book Vol. 1 followed by Majestic Trunk Key Book Vol. 2 in 1951. Although long obsolete, these publications contain silhouettes of hundreds of various trunk keys from which a locksmith could fabricate a key if the lock maker and code number are known. Do you know the lock manufacturer and/or code number?

Pete Schifferli

Thanks Pete, I don't remember seeing any marking or number on the lock at all, but will be going to the shop later and will double check. I finally learned that the metal knob in the center of the lock mechanism is to serve as a turn cylinder for the hollow barrel key. That's how innocent I was to the workings of keys and locks. So I'm learning. based on what I've read I may be able to pick it, although I'm not too hopeful.

Default Corbin ST8

[QUOTE=anngonzalez;22390]Hi, I don't know anything about keys or locks or antiques, either. Except that I love history and am fascinated by engineering. I just moved from Seattle to Maine and purchased a building built in 1796 that has housed an antique store. Along with the purchase came a beautiful antique trunk. I don't have a picture of the trunk right now but this is the lock.

It's a little difficult to see but it looks like the lock is a Corbin ST8 steamer trunk lock

Quote Originally Posted by anngonzalez View Post
    It's a little difficult to see but it looks like the lock is a Corbin ST8 steamer trunk lock
    I suspect it may be Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. ST3. Aftermarket pre-cut keys were available back in the day as Ilco 523 or Graham 4523 but haven't been available for many years. This key cuts on the 4225 Graham, 0600A Keil or 1500B Ilco key blank; all of which are also long obsolete. The Ilco 1500A is extant and similar enough to 1500B that it could be modified to work. The thumbnail is an image of the ST3 which is called a "barrel key" in locksmith terminology.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graham4523.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	14736
    Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I suspect it may be Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. ST3.
    Pete Schifferli
    If you Google "Corbin ST3 trunk key" (without the quotes) you will find lots of sources on the Internet for pre-cuts including trunk shops and eBay.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information