Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Key machine

Default Key machine

Hello everyone! I think I found a gem but not sure what it's worth. It is a keil number 3 and numbered 1772 and its on a board on a small cabinet withdrawers and old key boxes I also found an old small safe and still works I'm interested in selling both but don't know its value. And the key cutter does work and seems all parts are there. Feel free to email me at kttracing@yahoo. Com trying post pics

Quote Originally Posted by Racer6329 View Post
    ... trying post pics
    This should help -- http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...-to-your-posts

Hello everyone! I think I found a gem but not sure what it's worth. It is a keil number 3 and numbered 1772 and its on a board on a small cabinet withdrawers and old key boxes I also found an old small safe and still works I'm interested in selling both but don't know its value. And the key cutter does work and seems all parts are there. Feel free to email me at kttracing@yahoo. Com trying post pics
    Here is a thumbnail of Keil #3 & #3-1/2:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keil#3-3.5KeyMachine.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	14722

This ancient machine is exceedingly rare, #3 is the basic machine while #3-1/2 includes the motor. Described as a combination of the fully automatic duplicator and code machine #1 and the #6 turret for cutting cylinder, flat and bit keys.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Here is a thumbnail of Keil #3 & #3-1/2:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keil#3-3.5KeyMachine.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	14722

This ancient machine is exceedingly rare, #3 is the basic machine while #3-1/2 includes the motor. Described as a combination of the fully automatic duplicator and code machine #1 and the #6 turret for cutting cylinder, flat and bit keys.

Pete Schifferli
    The tag says number 3 but also has a motor

The tag says number 3 but also has a motor
    heres some pics and the value is? oh it does work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutter 1.jpg   cutter 2.jpg   cutter 3.jpg  

Default safe

i also found this old safe with combination and it works what would it be and its value?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe.jpg  

It is hard to place a value on such a machine. Those of that vintage are often quite worn and won't cut accurate keys unless rebuilt by a machinist. No replacement parts are extant except for perhaps the cutters. Although it is an interesting machine, it would find little use in a contemporary locksmith shop. It might be highly valued by a collector however, and some prized models in pristine condition often sell for more than when they were new! This doesn't answer your question but might give you some insight into the possible value. My two cents.

Pete Schifferli

It is hard to place a value on such a machine. Those of that vintage are often quite worn and won't cut accurate keys unless rebuilt by a machinist. No replacement parts are extant except for perhaps the cutters. Although it is an interesting machine, it would find little use in a contemporary locksmith shop. It might be highly valued by a collector however, and some prized models in pristine condition often sell for more than when they were new! This doesn't answer your question but might give you some insight into the possible value. My two cents.

Pete Schifferli
    One last request how do I find these kind of collectors? Ty for your insite!

One last request how do I find these kind of collectors? Ty for your insite!
    I took the liberty of posting a link to this thread over on the paid ClearStar Security Network forum. Many locksmiths and security professionals, including yours truly; are members who could possibly be intrigued by this machine. I recommend that you post your eMail addy here so that anyone who may be interested can contact you directly since they are unlikely to be Antique-Locks.com members, and thus unable to post. I hope this is helpful.

Pete Schifferli

I took the liberty of posting a link to this thread over on the paid ClearStar Security Network forum. Many locksmiths and security professionals, including yours truly; are members who could possibly be intrigued by this machine. I recommend that you post your eMail addy here so that anyone who may be interested can contact you directly since they are unlikely to be Antique-Locks.com members, and thus unable to post. I hope this is helpful.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks you! Kttracing@yahoo com yes I'd like to see it in a good home and we ran it today runs fine!

Thread Information