Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: old still bank

Default Barrel bank 1950, plastic

This is a sort of register bank, but the dial is manual, and only goes up to £1 — that is 240 pennies (d not p, so over 1" diameter). The box is not mine, and mine has faded somewhat, but these are better pics.

There is no lock, just a plastic plug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails barrel bank half 1950 back.jpg   barrel bank half 1950 with box.jpg   barrel bank half 1950 with box 2.jpg   barrel bank half 1950 box.jpg   barrel bank half 1950 jpg.jpg  

Default wooden banks

Hobby catalogues sold blanks by mail order for home finishing by painting, pyrography, or what have you. Some included a simple lock, in this case stapled on. The pear dates from the 1980's; the other might be 1930's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wooden barrel_moneybox.jpg   wooden barrel_lock.jpg   treen barrel Swiss 2 late 20c.jpg   treen barrel Swiss 1 late 20c.jpg   homecraft pyrography_2 199-.JPG  

Default electronic money box

This is a toy version of the electronic home safe; like the real thing it can be bounced open — just remember the solenoid moves horizontally not vertically; but that can be seen through the translucent box. The dial is sham; only the number pad functions.
    Don't know why some pics have turned on sides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails electronic change safe 1 China 1999.jpg   electronic change safe 2 China 1999.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super Safe Peter Pan comlock 198n a.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	17619 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super Safe Peter Pan comlock 198n b.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	17620 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super Safe Peter Pan comlock 198n c lock .JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	17621

Here are 3 pictures chubbbramah sent me. It's a very nice safe!

Cheers :)

The clear red one with the keypad needs to be at least a Euro grade 6 if it stores Chupa Chups lollies, ten years ago our kids would've opened a Tann Treasury to get at those!

Default lollies

Gosh! I don't remember the lollies; I remember that there were lollies but cannot remember what they were — certainly I didn't try any. My grandson probably had them. When I took out the moneyboxes to photograph (and I actually dusted them first) couple still had chocolate coins in them. Guess there isn't much point in leaving those, the house clearer won't want them.

Default Super Safe moneybox opening

If combination unknown, apply pulling pressure and turn dial left (anti-clockwise) until door gives a little; then turn right (clockwise) until it opens.

Default MK Tresmer moneyboxes - just a few

The company has made over 200 designs, many in several colours, and some in several sizes, for public sale and as promotions for banks and building societies. Afaik all use the same key. However, later locks use a single plastic spring instead of a metal spring.

Here are just a few. Er ... most pics just too big.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MK round pig w key c2000.JPG   MK lock_key late versionc2000 b.JPG  

Default tinplate cash box style moneybox

This has long been a popular design for moneyboxes, copying the real thing. Some old ones were actually made as miniatures of the real thing, complete with wire edges and gold coachlines etc. Most later ones were simplified. Sadly the real lock on the oldest one here is broken.
    Sharps Toffees purveyed their toffees in several versions during my childhood — one shown here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small black-gold cash box c1910 1.jpg   Sharps toffee cashbox rounded c196n 1.jpg   Sharps toffee cashbox rounded c196n bottom.jpg   Sharps toffee cashbox rounded c196n inside.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by chubbbramah View Post
    This has long been a popular design for moneyboxes, copying the real thing. Some old ones were actually made as miniatures of the real thing, complete with wire edges and gold coachlines etc. Most later ones were simplified. Sadly the real lock on the oldest one here is broken.
    Sharps Toffees purveyed their toffees in several versions during my childhood — one shown here.
    Remember having one of those tins as a kid but it wasnt the fancy lockable version, just a plain tin with a press fit lid IIRC, used it for meccano stuff and probably still around somewhere.

I'm convinced you will have the Chubb's tucked away somewhere, you can't have a username like yours and collect all those coin banks and money boxes without showing us the Chubb's! Or were you saving best till last...
    Always wanted the round door vault but saw it was such thin tinplate with no added details or parts, a shame in some ways,but they are still nostalgic little collectibles nonetheless. Not quite sure what they were thinking when they did that ceramic one in the 70s or 80s though, think it was through Wedgwood or one of those.

http://chubbarchive.co.uk/page30.html

Thread Information