Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Dating Van Camp padlocks?

Hi, I bought 336 padlocks a little over a year ago and have been a member of this site since then, thanks for having me! I have learned a little about padlocks, where previous to my purchase, I knew they locked things. I have had good luck selling some on eBay, but I still have over 300 left, all different kinds.
    I have several Van Camp padlocks and I am trying to learn a little more about them. They seem to be scarce, or else information about them is scarce. I read that Miller Lock Co. made padlocks for Van Camp Hardware, which 'was the largest hardware firm in the state (Indiana) during the first half of the 20th century' (Encyclopedia of Indianapolis (Google Books). Did Miller always supply the padlocks for Van Camp? Or did other companies make padlocks for Van Camp? And if someone could recommend further reading on push key lever locks, I'd be grateful. When were they made? When did they go out of style? I have a brass padlock with a steel shank that has a round Van Camp logo stamped on one side. No key.
    Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Martha336 View Post
    Hi, I bought 336 padlocks a little over a year ago and have been a member of this site since then, thanks for having me! I have learned a little about padlocks, where previous to my purchase, I knew they locked things. I have had good luck selling some on eBay, but I still have over 300 left, all different kinds.
    I have several Van Camp padlocks and I am trying to learn a little more about them. They seem to be scarce, or else information about them is scarce. I read that Miller Lock Co. made padlocks for Van Camp Hardware, which 'was the largest hardware firm in the state (Indiana) during the first half of the 20th century' (Encyclopedia of Indianapolis (Google Books). Did Miller always supply the padlocks for Van Camp? Or did other companies make padlocks for Van Camp? And if someone could recommend further reading on push key lever locks, I'd be grateful. When were they made? When did they go out of style? I have a brass padlock with a steel shank that has a round Van Camp logo stamped on one side. No key.
    Thanks for any help.
    You may wish to obtain a copy of The National Locksmith Guide to Antique Padlocks (c)1990 by Jack Roberts. Quoting from the section on push key lever type padlocks beginning on pg. 69, "this type of padlock was manufactured in the millions, with three, four and six lever mechanisms, by almost every padlock company in America in the late 1800s and early 1900s...".
    Can be ordered here:
    http://beta.thenationallocksmith.com...=stri,jr-pad-1

Pete Schifferli

Default Thanks!

I will see if I can get a copy from the library first. I was hoping there was a link on this site or another I couldlook through. Happy Thanksgiving!

Thread Information