Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a raco Key

Default Need a raco Key

I was at an antique store this weekend. The owner was talking about the old raco locks for the railroad. It was enough for me to buy one. It's a Southern Pacific raco. Im looking for a hex key.

Default Need a raco Key

Picture of lock would help......

Default I think this is what he needs a key for

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Picture of lock would help......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raco.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	14768Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raco2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	14769

Most of these locks can use an ordinary 1/2-inch hex socket but I'll assume you want a proper period key. They do show up on eBay from time to time. You could register a "followed search" for "raco (lock,key)" without the quotes.

There are folks who collect railroad locks, and there are railroad conventions and swap meets you could look for.

Just to be thorough, notice that some locks (such as the one pictured) will also accept a two-prong spanner key. Just something else to collect!

i have a couple triangle keys, but it seems to be very hard to find a brass hex key.

i have a double wrench that has a triangle on one side and a hex on the other

Of the several keys I've seen (and I own a small number) for SACO/RACO/SAFETRAN as well as WRRS locks, none are actually marked. I'd rather not pair a SACO key with a SAETRAN lock, let alone mix them up with a WRRS lock. Has anybody researched the keys to narrow down who made what style of key?

Why shouldn't you visit an old locksmith shop, they probably have the hex key. Do consult with them once, they will surely get you the one.

My favorite is the dual-purpose key like this one currently on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Rail...QAAOSwqbZXE-rO

Quote Originally Posted by ricksmith12 View Post
    Why shouldn't you visit an old locksmith shop, they probably have the hex key. Do consult with them once, they will surely get you the one.
    I doubt locksmiths will be able to help, this is not lock shop inventory. These are very hard to find "keys" (really should be called "wrenches"). They resemble a piece of pipe or a rod with shaped ends. I had a triangle mock-up that the owner had squeezed a copper pipe into three flat sides - worked fine !

Try a deep socket wrench on the hex lock until you can find a real key/wrench (the "2-prong spanner" mentioned earlier), or to simply loosen it so you can open it, use a pair of strong needle nose pliers in the small slots.

Every time you find a bunch of "keys" for sale, take a look. People do not realize what these are and you can find them anywhere from antique shops to flea markets.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by GregWhitney View Post
    My favorite is the dual-purpose key like this one currently on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Rail...QAAOSwqbZXE-rO
    For future reference here is the dual-purpose key:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raco1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	15859 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raco2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	15860

Thread Information