Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Padlocks from old shed Moreton Langley + Hand Made Brass

I was in an old mans shed today & found box with this assortment in it (there were also lots of FAT black spiders but I left them in the shed)
    I am putting up 2 pics first, the small group were just washed in hot soapy water, the large group are untouched ~ no lock is shown twice.

The small brass heart shape lock with round dust cover is 1 11/16" tall, stamped "MORETON & LANGLEY" (on the LH in pic.) It has the word PATENT five times. Once at centre top, twice on cover & twice around the hidden keyhole. Also on the dust cover is a crown with "VR" beneath, which I assume is Victoria Regina. I could only find one reference to Moreton & Langley on the net & it was just a pic of a lock.

There is a square brass padlock in the large group shot, just to the right of the large brass lock (bottom) The brass area on this small padlock is 1 1/4" tall including shoulder x 1 3/16" wide x 3/8" deep. It has HAND MADE LEVER PATENT & the no. 16064

The last two locks are approx. same size as the Moreton & Langley. Both have a "sun" looking logo stamped on them. Twice on the body, one lock has the same logo on the dust cover, the other lock has a different stamp on the dust cover and also has the word "SECURE" twice but the C is back to front.

I know unmarked locks are very difficult to ID but I'm hoping someone may be able to help.
    Thanks........momma
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SV400486.jpg   SV400495.jpg   SV400498.jpg   SV400503.jpg   SV400510.jpg  

Default Re: Padlocks from old shed Moreton Langley + Hand Made Brass

Your hand made lock patent 16064 is not a US utility or design patent but seems to be an English patent from 1886 according to the link. You can find info about some of the others there too.
    BBE.

http://www.bl.uk/collections/patents/history.html

Thanks BBE, I should have mentioned that I had visited that site but got confused due to the dates EG: 1884 ~ 17,110; 1885 16,101; 1886 17,169
    Numbers are up & down.....
    Unfortunately none of the other padlocks have numbers on them.........momma

English patent numbers of this period do not run in order year after year. The numbering began again at the start of each year .. Thus to find a specific patent you need to know the Year & the patent number.

Thanks oldlock ~ that makes it even harder!!!

oldlock if you are still around could you have a look at the 1st pic, at top right is a drawer or cupboard lock. This has a double keyhole, holes are at right angles & share the top section. Is this so it can be used as a cupboard or drawer lock ` in a vertical or horizontal position?? I have the key & it is working "2 Secure Lever Jacksons Maker Launceston" Some interesting keys too. What does "paracentric" mean??
    .....momma

PS I live in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by momma
    Thanks oldlock ~ that makes it even harder!!!

oldlock if you are still around could you have a look at the 1st pic, at top right is a drawer or cupboard lock. This has a double keyhole, holes are at right angles & share the top section. Is this so it can be used as a cupboard or drawer lock ` in a vertical or horizontal position?? I have the key & it is working "2 Secure Lever Jacksons Maker Launceston" Some interesting keys too. What does "paracentric" mean??
    .....momma

PS I live in Australia
    Yes, the lock can be used for either a cupboard or drawer. Jacksons still make locks in the same factory.

Paracentric means that the projections in the keyway broaching overlap or pass each other - making picking harder.

Thread Information