Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Old Padlock Help

Hello, I purchased an old antique chest and it came with what appears to be an old railroad padlock. The lock was not original to the chest that supposedly came off of a British ship. The padlock came with a key and I was trying to find a way to get a 2nd key but I don't even know where to begin and I was wondering if someone here could help me. Below are pictures of the old lock and the key that it came with the padlock has the number 1964 stamped on the shackle and the only thing stamped on the key is adlake (both stamps can be seen in the pictures). Thanks in advance for any help

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3339.JPG   IMG_3340.JPG   IMG_3341.jpg   IMG_3342.jpg   IMG_3338.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by joer0952 View Post
    Hello, I purchased an old antique chest and it came with what appears to be an old railroad padlock. The lock was not original to the chest that supposedly came off of a British ship. The padlock came with a key and I was trying to find a way to get a 2nd key but I don't even know where to begin and I was wondering if someone here could help me. Below are pictures of the old lock and the key that it came with the padlock has the number 1964 stamped on the shackle and the only thing stamped on the key is adlake (both stamps can be seen in the pictures). Thanks in advance for any help

Joe
    Here is a link to a website selling original and reproduction Adlake railroad keys:
    http://www.giftsrr.com/Switch-Keys/Switch_Keys_A1.aspx
    I don't see your exact key but perhaps the vendor has the ability to copy your key? You could inquire, also sometimes found on eBay.

Pete Schifferli

Thanks for the help Pete, I just found a key on eBay which looks like mine (see attached picture). I purchased it, I was just wondering how forgiving are these old padlocks with replacement keys? I mean do they have to be dead on balls accurate or is pretty close usually good?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails key.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by joer0952 View Post
    Thanks for the help Pete, I just found a key on eBay which looks like mine (see attached picture). I purchased it, I was just wondering how forgiving are these old padlocks with replacement keys? I mean do they have to be dead on balls accurate or is pretty close usually good?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Looks good from here, let us know if it works. They do need to be accurate but significant wear of the tumblers might allow a less precise key to operate the lock.

Pete

Thread Information