Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Cross & Orb mark on Chubb Patent Detectors

Looking through my Chubb stuff recently and found 2 nice Chubb cabinet locks with close serial numbers. One is 797153 and the other 797156. They both have the Chubb fish logo (with smiling mouth!), but Also a distinctive Orb and Cross mark.

Ive searched on here and found this has been discussed before, but it seemed not even Peter Gunn knew what the Orb & Cross mark was for. So, just wondering if anyone ever found out anymore to throw some light on these unusual Stamps- reminds me of those used typically as Hallmarks, but both locks are sadly brass and not 18k gold!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	530.8 KB 
ID:	14528

Default Chubb orb stamp

Is this orb stamp perhaps the mark of the individual locksmith who made this lock?

My own personal view is that it was an inspection mark. It could be that these locks were made externally by contractors (I forget who told me they did that) and and such would have been subject to secondary checking / inspection.

Hmmm that's interesting oldlock, thanks for that. First time I've heard that suggestion and that could possibly explain why only the Orb & cross mark appears, as opposed to several other variations if they were the marks of individual locksmiths or bench fitters. Good one that..

Still amazed how something I thought would be relatively common has turned out to be a bit of a mystery!

Thread Information