Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Old Sashlock I.D.

Can anyone identify this old sashlock that I had to take out of a door recently ?
    Apart from having the wasp's nest inside it which I have seen in locks before, I have never seen levers like this in 20yrs of ding this job .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-10-15 11.40.53.jpg  

I can't id it for you, but I've seen levers like that in Russian locks.

I've seen them before when a locksmith in the UK.

As to brand, no idea - probably made for one of the big hardware merchants of the time.

Same, used to see quite a lot of them on domestic internal doors around here. Many are still in use with the original lever handles and fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    As to brand, no idea - probably made for one of the big hardware merchants of the time.
    Typical 1920's-1930's builders' hardware; like Oldlock, I have no idea of maker but common on pre-WW2 housing. Some of them originally had Bakelite furniture, or antique copper bronze, (as had my parents house) which are collectable retro themselves, for period restorations. They might even be pre-WW1, as designs had a long life until 1939. Post-WW2, builders stopped bothering with internal locks. My childhood's 1938 home had better internal doors than postwar exterior ones. By now, many pre-war doors have been replaced with cheap flush doors etc. with equally cheap latches; Barry Bucknall's 1960's 'modernising ' diy idea.

Thread Information