Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Question Looking for info on: Junkunc Bros. Mfrs. Combination Lock & Eagle Lock CO Padlock

To start I am not a collector or lock enthusiast, I know very little to nothing about locks other than how to open my front door. I just stumbled upon this site while trying to find information about the two locks that I found interestingly enough attached to a handbag that I purchased. They looked neat but made the flap to heavy so I decided to remove them. That is when I found out that they were not original hardware on the bag.

The first is the Junkunc combination lock. It is in pretty rough shape but the dial still turns, no clue what the combination is though. There is a number 62 on the lock bar. The dial face reads from 5 to 30. On the back it says:

JUNKUNC BROS. MFRS.
    PAT. 1912
    OTHERS APPL'D.
    CHICAGO, U.S.A. STYLE-J

The second is the Eagle lock co. padlock, also in rough condition. The key fits and will rotate and I can hear the tumblers click but the lock does not open. There is no writing on the body of the lock but on the front of the lock bar it says: 80 EAGLE LOCK CO. TERRYVILLE, CT. U.S.A.

The back of the lock bar says:
    PAT. SEPT.4.94
    RE-JAN.22.95

The key also has writing.
    Back: 11LX7
    Front: EAGLE LOCK CO. TERRYVILLE CONN. U.S.A.

In my google searches I couldn't find any locks that matched these two. So any information at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for any and all help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN8527.JPG   DSCN8513.JPG   DSCN8515.JPG   DSCN8524.JPG   DSCN8499.JPG  

DSCN8512.JPG   DSCN8503.JPG   DSCN8504.JPG   DSCN8502.JPG   DSCN8492.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by lacey View Post
    In my google searches I couldn't find any locks that matched these two. So any information at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for any and all help.
    I'm not a collector either, but both of your padlocks are obviously quite old. I can give you some info on the two manufacturers however:

Junkunc Bros. - American Lock Co.
    The origins of this company go back to 1912 when John Junkunc invented a combination padlock which looked much like your image. They began in Chicago and continued to develop and market various other types of padlocks. Much of the company's production during World War II was padlocks built to specifications of various government and war agencies. They moved to a new modern facility in Crete, IL in the 1960s. In 2003, American Lock was acquired by rival Master Lock Co. and moved to Milwaukee, WI. where it continues in name only as a Master Lock brand.*

Eagle Lock Co.
    Began in 1854, it was once one of America's largest lock manufacturers. Located in Terryville, CT the business thrived during the first half of the 20th century and had 1,800 employees in 1922. In 1974 the Eagle Lock Co. received a large order from USPS for pin tumbler locks used in post office mail boxes. They lost the next contract and went out of business in June, 1975. At that time there were 95 employees. In December of 1978, most of the old Eagle Lock Co's facilities burned.*

*These details were derived largely from the excellent Locks and Lockmakers of America by the late Thomas F. Hennessy together with other information from my own files.

Pete Schifferli

Question Getting them to work and what to do with them.

[QUOTE=Pschiffe;21941]both of your padlocks are obviously quite old

I did find all the information about the makers of the locks. I am interested in finding out what the combination is and how to get the keyed lock to open. Any information on that?

Also are there people who would want these despite the condition? I know I don't want to keep them so not sure what to do with them. Should I just trash them?

only 2 numbers in j series combo
    pm me and i'll try to explain opening

Thread Information