Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Eagle Lock Co. Kno Pic Supr Security Rim cylinder

I recently found an Eagle Lock rim cylinder in its original box with a key I didn't recognize. I have seen Eagle cylinders with the Bell style key but not with this style key. It is similar to the Schlage Everest series. The box is marked Eagle Lock Corp. , a Subsidiary of Penn Akron so I know it is probably from the 1960s or early 70s. It is the Supr Security series but also has Kno-Pic written on the box and the part # 3600. There is no patent date but it has Pat. Pending on the tail piece.
    Can anyone tell me anything about this line and how long they used this key way?
    Thanks
    Dave
    PS I'm trying to add a picture but for some reason I can't.

This should help regarding uploading images:

http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...-to-your-posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaveErieAve View Post
    I recently found an Eagle Lock rim cylinder in its original box with a key I didn't recognize. I have seen Eagle cylinders with the Bell style key but not with this style key. It is similar to the Schlage Everest series. The box is marked Eagle Lock Corp. , a Subsidiary of Penn Akron so I know it is probably from the 1960s or early 70s. It is the Supr Security series but also has Kno-Pic written on the box and the part # 3600. There is no patent date but it has Pat. Pending on the tail piece.
    Can anyone tell me anything about this line and how long they used this key way?
    Thanks
    Dave
    PS I'm trying to add a picture but for some reason I can't.
    The Eagle "Supr-Security" lock was introduced in 1961 or 1962. These were one of the first high security locks which were virtually pick-proof and the keys could not be duplicated on standard key duplicating machines. They were invented by Frank Testa, an engineer at Eagle Lock Co. (Patent #3,035,443, 5-22-1962). The "Supr-Security" line included padlocks, jimmy-proof locks, cam locks and rim and mortise cylinders. The locks were quite successful, but they could not be masterkeyed. The Eagle Lock Co. was closed in June, 1972 and the product was no longer produced.*
    *adapted from Locks and Lockmakers of America by the late Thomas F. Hennessy.

Also see thumbnail attached from Historical Research Series #15, May 1985; also by Tom Hennessy.

Pete Schifferli

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EagleSupr-SecurityLock.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	14505

The pick resistance is VERY true. I have a cylinder for over a decade... Tried many times. Half the wafers have no springs.

Thread Information