Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Found KING 6 LEVER lock

Hi! I'm new here also I am into metal detecting and I found this lock today across the street from an old train station I found out is made by Miller lock company it's a pancake style does anyone know time period it was made I know they were in business from 1870 ish to 1940? It's a really nice relic I was happy to find it! And I would also like to know it's rough estimated value ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	14503

Quote Originally Posted by Whatdayagot View Post
    Hi! I'm new here also I am into metal detecting and I found this lock today across the street from an old train station I found out is made by Miller lock company it's a pancake style does anyone know time period it was made I know they were in business from 1870 ish to 1940? It's a really nice relic I was happy to find it! And I would also like to know it's rough estimated value ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    In 1999 a similar lock that was in working order sold on Ebay for $76.00. You can see that lock at the link below.
    BBE.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	king6lever.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	14504

http://www.1st-net-lock-museum.com/lp3.htm

Default Lock

Thanks ! I greatly appreciate it do you know if there is anyway to tell the approximate time period it was made? I was trying to research it but I read that the first patent was in 1870 then another patent n change was made along with many other new improved changes so I'm curious to know how far back it goes as it was found in my hometown ( interested in history!)

Quote Originally Posted by Whatdayagot View Post
    Thanks ! I greatly appreciate it do you know if there is anyway to tell the approximate time period it was made? I was trying to research it but I read that the first patent was in 1870 then another patent n change was made along with many other new improved changes so I'm curious to know how far back it goes as it was found in my hometown ( interested in history!)
    Could have been anytime from 1870 to around 1940. If you can find the patents involved you may be able to see some external feature that will help date it.
    BBE.

nice find,sharp letters and detail. i paid $55 for one and made a key and one broken lever springClick image for larger version. 

Name:	213.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	14529

Thread Information