Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Burg Security Lock No. 185

Hello,

I recently found a very interesting German made lock and I can't seem to find any information on it anywhere. Although, let me tell you, I've had a lot of fun in the looking. There are some VERY cool locks out there. I think I may start collecting them! Anyways, I was wondering if you might be able to point me in the right direction for some help identifying this lock.

It's a Burg security padlock from before the merger with Wachter, while their logo was still a castle on a hill. It's inscribed with the word "Stahlhart" on the handle part, and the words "BURG SlcherheitsschloB No. 185 Bugel beiderseitig gesperrt D.B.P. ang MADE IN GERMANY". While looking online, I was able to find some items with similar logos, but not the exact one (with the detail of grass on the hill). Also, I was unable to find the actual lock design - it has pieces on each side of the main body that are etched with fine lines, and a different color than the rest. Any direction you could give me would be great.

Also - what would the D.B.P. mean? We were able to figure out the meaning of all the other writing but that.

Thanks.

Darin Olson

It would be nice to post picture of your lock and help out more of what you talking about....Timothy....

Yeah I know...my camera isn't working right now though. I will as soon as I can borrow one. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarinOlson View Post
    Hello,

I recently found a very interesting German made lock and I can't seem to find any information on it anywhere. Although, let me tell you, I've had a lot of fun in the looking. There are some VERY cool locks out there. I think I may start collecting them! Anyways, I was wondering if you might be able to point me in the right direction for some help identifying this lock.

It's a Burg security padlock from before the merger with Wachter, while their logo was still a castle on a hill. It's inscribed with the word "Stahlhart" on the handle part, and the words "BURG SlcherheitsschloB No. 185 Bugel beiderseitig gesperrt D.B.P. ang MADE IN GERMANY". While looking online, I was able to find some items with similar logos, but not the exact one (with the detail of grass on the hill). Also, I was unable to find the actual lock design - it has pieces on each side of the main body that are etched with fine lines, and a different color than the rest. Any direction you could give me would be great.

Also - what would the D.B.P. mean? We were able to figure out the meaning of all the other writing but that.

Thanks.

Darin Olson
    Hi Darin. I can't comment on your particular padlock, but I can provide some information about the company. Burg-Wachter is a brand name. (Wachter is not the name of another company that merged with Burg.) Burg in German means castle or fortress, and Wachter means watchmen or guard. The company was founded in 1890 by Alfred Luling in the city of Wetter.

Default Answer to DBP!!

Quote Originally Posted by DarinOlson View Post
    Hello,

Thanks.

Darin Olson
    DBP is the German Post Office, who probably had this padlock made for them, they use a lot of them!!!

It stands for Deutsche Bundespost.

I hope this helps.

I hope you manage to get a good photo at some point!!

Regards

Andy

Thread Information