Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Unlocking Adventure book jacket -- sorry, wrong thread.

Sorry

Default The Master Locksmith Reference Vol 3

I suspect that the mechanism on the front cover of the "Unlocking Adventure" is discussed in "The Master Locksmith Reference" Vol 3.

I don't think it was Charles Courtney's invention but much older. I have a copy of a document which discusses current state of some opening techniques before 1920. It would appear to be for risk assessors (in the US) in the banking industry at the time. Reading between the lines techniques were known for most early mass produced locks before 1890. For example first commercial use of diamond tipped drills was for opening safes. Well according to a newspaper article of the time.

If the Volume 3 has in fact turned up then it might not be too long before we are enlightened as to the content. I don't think the contents would be a surprise but just given little attention these days, apart from gadgets like the dialer.

The 4" holes put in this money chest in the early 1890's were probably that first use of diamonds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20191125_090316197.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by 4xlock View Post
    I suspect that the mechanism on the front cover of the "Unlocking Adventure" is discussed in "The Master Locksmith Reference" Vol 3.

I don't think it was Charles Courtney's invention but much older. I have a copy of a document which discusses current state of some opening techniques before 1920. It would appear to be for risk assessors (in the US) in the banking industry at the time. Reading between the lines techniques were known for most early mass produced locks before 1890. For example first commercial use of diamond tipped drills was for opening safes. Well according to a newspaper article of the time.

If the Volume 3 has in fact turned up then it might not be too long before we are enlightened as to the content. I don't think the contents would be a surprise but just given little attention these days, apart from gadgets like the dialer.
    I always thought Leschot’s 1860s diamond cores for blast hole drilling to aid tunnelling were the first, closely followed by the oil/mineral/mining industries.

Default Diamond Drills

This was published in the New York Tribune Sat Dec 6 1862
    Whoever wrote this clearly does not understand the concept of hardness, as you don't temper diamond, but either way it shows the concept of diamond tipped drills. This was used to promote Franklinite in manufacture of safes and vaults. Somewhere, if I can find it, I have an earlier reference. Interesting to note these are genuine diamonds rather than synthetic.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    I always thought LeschotÂ’s 1860s diamond cores for blast hole drilling to aid tunnelling were the first, closely followed by the oil/mineral/mining industries.
    1863 was patent date here. Diamond tipped drills were earlier and as far as I can see originated for safe opening. Not core drills at this point allowing for the core drill patent. James Sargent regarded drilling a small hole into a safe lock and poking a wire in it to open was "non destructive".

Curious about this patent but the PDF doesn't respond.

Also what do you think about the 4" core drilled holes which were being put in numerous money chests including a Franklinite included Herring?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Curious about this patent but the PDF doesn't respond.
    It's not the patent pdf but it should open as a pdf of the newspaper article from 1862. The actual article is always best to show early provenance.

If I can track it down I have an earlier reference by a few years about the use of diamond for drilling due to it's absolute hardness. I think this newspaper article miss-interprets that information.

Thread Information