Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Regarding Chatwood safe from Bulgaria

Today we did open the safe.For me personally the safe and the locks on the safe them self is more important,with more value than the documents.Unfortunately it was necessarily to damage the lock on the bottom because of malfunction on the past or trying other people to open the safe (at least 5 of the springs was broken).This one on the top is o.k. and the safe is in very good condition (except couple of holes on the body)The door fit very well to the body and you can hear sound like from very expensive car door during closing wen the air come out.
    Please if someone knows to share is their any other stories regarding Chatwood life or Chatwood safes to be connected with "curse" or something like that.I am not a superstition person but this is the good time to become one.
    During the process of opening we spend more than 100 h. of work (usually for other safes we do not spend more than a day,or two)Broken 30 special one drill bits,more than 20 common one,couple screw drivers,punches,some picking tools for safes.My colleague and friend locksmith injure his leg.I have a medium trauma on my left hand.Not counting how many times we have bean interrupted by different common reasons(suddenly missing tools,die batteries on flash lites with no visible reason,waiting for the museum person to come,even one time we was locked and was necessary to use pick tools to open the door to the room from unsaid)
    On top of it some of yellow newspapers start to digging around and say two weeks ago that I already open the safe?!? and public materials regarding my self like some safecracker from "underground" without ask for my permission at all.
    After opening today at 10,12 am the man which is watching us took all the items and said that in the past couple of people had also their chance to open the safe.
    At the time I dissaid more than 3 times to cut the whole unit but:
    1- we just cant move the safe at all to bring out of the place.
    2- the museum is very dry old building and is to dangerous to use any cutting tools on high speed or any open fire tools.
    3-I did promise to safe (if its possible)all the documents inside.
    During the process of making keys I will find out what cost the problem with this lock.From my experience I can say that usually only in case of sudden malfunction (during using safes normal way with keys) you can find some items inside.Most of the cases the safes are just empty.
    Again about the "cursed connection" - the person from the museum (we become friends after all) said that during movement of the safe from the building of the court to the museum (that use to be a official safe of the Government Court (at least publication from Bulgarian newspapers help as to track some of the history of the safe) a man had a leg broken and a whole part of wood stairs of the Court building needs to be repair-all because of the safe.
    Now the director of the museum have all the documents and banknotes.He said that this documents belong to the Bulgarian Government Court,but the money belong to the museum (because of the old edition).On Monday I will take a picture of the empty safe and locks and post to the forum.
    I would like to say thanks to all for the help.Specially to Paul.
    The director of the museum was so happy that ask me to open other old safe in different building of the museum.On fisrt eye it is a Wien safe with sompthing like wood cover on it.

Best regards
    Dimo

Default Excellent post

Excellent post - I really have enjoyed. Thanks !!!

Btw, could you maybe post some more photos of the safe (front door, locks, keys, etc)

Keep doing great work !

Thread Information