Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with New Diebold Safe

Hi guys,

I just purchased a new diebold safe and would like to gain some knowledge about it. t has a few quirky things that may need fixing and we'll get into that as well. I Believe it was built rom 1900 to 1914. It has a name "has H. Lindeke Jr. from St. Paul,MN written on the front who likely is a manager from Diebold at the time. Can anyone tell me more information about the age of this safe, its worth (of course it worth what someone is willing to pay for it), and anything else about it. I believe it is a "fireproof safe. It's 40" high x 27"wide x 27" deep. It has two bolts opposite the hinges.

One interesting thing is that the combination only works if the handle is held with slight pressure towards the open position during the last revolution of the dial. Why is this? Should I open the door mechanism and clean it? What with? Does it need lube? What kind? Thanks in advance for the responses!
    Brian

Here are some pictures. It took me some time to figure out the upload
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150920_123524.jpg   20150920_202849.jpg   20150920_202855.jpg   20150920_202901.jpg   20150920_202908.jpg  

As far as I know, you shouldn't lube combo locks. It will only cause problems.

Anyone else recommend I open this thing up? If it is finicky to open now, I'm a little nervous to lock things inside that I might need. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Highplainsdakota View Post
    Anyone else recommend I open this thing up? If it is finicky to open now, I'm a little nervous to lock things inside that I might need. What do you guys think?
    Probably not. I would advise to call someone in to get it done properly. I dont think anyone will recommend you go pulling it apart yourself unless you know what you are doing.

Although it's a basic old fire safe and relatively crude mechanically, there's still a lot of individual parts, contact areas and forces at work in there which all need to be smooth and in harmony.

Safe diagnostics and repair work is extremely varied and involved, the skills and knowledge can only be learned over time. It's not something that can be quickly emailed over an Internet forum. Not trying to shatter your DIY dream, but I would definitely call someone in to get it looked at properly.

My 30 years was spent on British safes but I do know some early Diebold fire safes similar to yours, where lack of lubrication was sometimes a long term problem. The bolt work pushed the cam (or arm) up into the wheel pack from below, the drop-in point being around the '25 to' position on a clock. This contact point where the bolt work contacted the heel of the cam would often corrode and bind, and would cause temporary lockouts even when the numbers were dialled in correctly. But, it could be that the door has been banged shut with the bolts extended, which will do more serious damage. Either way, it needs someone who knows what their looking for, as chances are other areas will also need attention and the whole lock a good strip-down etc.

Look at it this way, if you can't open it in a few months time, 3 hours before you're due at the airport for your vacation flight, and your passports are locked inside, you'll wish you hadn't struggled with it yourself!

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in Bismarck North Dakota. How does one go about looking for a "Safe smith"?

Hopefully members your side of the pond can recommend someone relatively close who's competent working with the older stuff. It's a nice old safe and hope all goes well with it.

What Max is describing is how that safe works. After the dial is turned to the last number, it will not come to a stop on it's own like many safe locks do. But after you turn the dial to the last number the bolt handle should then be free to rotate and pull the door open. Once the door handle is moved even a little, it latches into the dial, preventing further dial rotation. Are you sure you really have a problem here? Applying pressure as your are describing will not hurt anything, it just sounds like you are prematurely applying handle pressure before the drive wheel in the lock has been properly aligned to the last number. Pay close attention to the number at the point where the handle can make its full swing and you will have found what should be the last number of your combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Highplainsdakota View Post
    I'm in Bismarck North Dakota. How does one go about looking for a "Safe smith"?
    A first try might be the phone book yellow pages, look for locksmiths that claim to do that sort of work. Many of today's locksmiths don't have much experience at safes simply because it's a tiny niche.

I've also heard that SAVTA (Safe & Vault Technicians Association, http://savta.org) can be helpful, their web site has a "safe tech search" which shows a business in Minot and Grand Forks, ND.

I also would start with SAVTA Or ALOA http://www.aloa.org/index.html

Thread Information