Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Need Info's about Dial Lock

Hello!
    Does anyone know where I can find Informations about a Lock like this? (Sorry, I don't know the Name for it)
    A Combination Lock where you have to insert a Key aswell.
    Thanks for any Help!

Regards, Beat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fsscr019.jpg  

As is what it said on the dial BODE Patent. I'm sure someone else will give you more information. It this safe door open or close..??.. What I don't understand is why the dial is so far from the dial ring..??..If safe open should try to get some picture of back door....Timothy....

There is a brief discussion in the book "High-Security Mechanical Locks" by Graham W. Pulford, page 322.

"The Bode-Panzer Tangential safe lock, based on designs issued prior to World War II, employed a dual-dial mechanism requiring a 4-bitted key and combination for opening ... Of the two dials, only one was actually a wheel-pack combination lock; the other was a plunger, called a lafette, for a key-operated lock."

"Further details of these intricate mechanisms are contained in German patents 214691 (1907), 418982 (1924), 642131 (1933), and 646623 (1933)."

The Kromer Protector was available with a lafette and appears to be similar, made until 1999 (pages 398-404).

The lock in the picture is not a true tangential, but is the predecessor of that lock.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 14-03-19 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Links removed that needed 'authority to proceed'

By the way, where did you get that picture? I'm pretty sure I've seen every pic of these locks on the internet.

Now I understand of why the dial standing out. That a nice cool Lock....Timothy...

Hello again!
    It took a while to answer you Guys, Sorry for that! Thank you for all the Informations!
    I got now a nice Safe with a Kromer Combination Lock with a Laffette, made around 1987.
    Does anyone know the Number of this Kromer Lock?

Best Regards!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1931.jpg   IMG_1932.jpg  

Thread Information