Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default French traditional locksmith video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqweKi0Iibk

Found the above whilst browsing. Don't look cheap. Clearly got a customer base with more money than mine. Hope the link works.

4xlock, many thanks for posting that link. I have been looking for info on that hand held lathe turning for a couple years now and the best I could come up with was a small scale hand held turning video Doug

The hand held style shown there is more traditionally associated with metal spinning of thin sheet sections rather than the turning of solid bar. That might be why you couldn't trawl much up Doug. Certainly don't see it often, it uses the same type of flat saddle tool rest, drilled for steel dowels. The dowels are then positioned accordingly and used as pivot points during forming, although they're not used much in the video when using the 'v' point tools for straight cutting.

It's certainly not common generally to turn solid heavy bar using free-hand tools, Doug you might find more if you search 'metal spinning' or 'ornamental turning' etc. I have to admit I'm chicken when it comes to 'v' tools and grooving tools as I've always set them securely in the tool post! I enjoy hand forming finials and acorns etc by file while the lathe is running, but wouldn't chance hand held pointed tools a foot or so long!

Some beautifully ornate door hardware going on there...amazing stuff

Yes definitely not something I would try without a little knowledge on the subject. When I bought my old South Bend 10" lathe several years ago , I did a bunch of searching for instructions on how to use and oil it. I ran across a picture from the 1940's or earlier of this technique being done on a SB lathe like mine. I too have just been using a file, but recently purchased a video showing this technique being used on watchmakers lathes. Since I also have a little Sherline lathe I am going to start with it. If I don't kill myself or put out an eye, I will try it out on the big one.

IMO, it really isn't that much different than turning wood. I've made rocket parts like this before, and I don't even have a metal lathe. Didn't seem all that dangerous to me.

Thread Information