Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with dating a Corbin cabinet lock

Hi all, I found this forum while trying to find more information, specifically a date for a lock I have on an old medical cabinet. I've been trying to date this cabinet and an almost idental one I have through the hardware on each as any other method has been unsuccessful. The designs are so similar to the companies that made them years back and very little is available online as far as old catalogs digitized or any write ups about them. So having said that my last resort is the lock on one that I found a name on and a number. I'm not sure what this lock is called....figured it was a "cabinet" lock since it's on a cabinet but I don't really know. The lock part itself is gone and I'd like to replace it if possible on this cabinet. The other cabinet...same lock/mechanism but rusted over so I can't read any numbers but I'm sure it's the same lock. No key for either cabinet of course :(. It has a 1WG and then 8 on the lock.

TIA!
    Michelle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4110.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by PBcrackers View Post
    Hi all, I found this forum while trying to find more information, specifically a date for a lock I have on an old medical cabinet. I've been trying to date this cabinet and an almost idental one I have through the hardware on each as any other method has been unsuccessful. The designs are so similar to the companies that made them years back and very little is available online as far as old catalogs digitized or any write ups about them. So having said that my last resort is the lock on one that I found a name on and a number. I'm not sure what this lock is called....figured it was a "cabinet" lock since it's on a cabinet but I don't really know. The lock part itself is gone and I'd like to replace it if possible on this cabinet. The other cabinet...same lock/mechanism but rusted over so I can't read any numbers but I'm sure it's the same lock. No key for either cabinet of course :(. It has a 1WG and then 8 on the lock.

TIA!
    Michelle
    Your lock is from The Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. whose origins go back to 1888. You have a lever tumbler "cupboard lock" of which they made numerous varieties. The bad news is that although the successor company, CCL Security Products; is still very much in business, that type of lock has been discontinued for decades! Perhaps you could find a used one on eBay or elsewhere? A locksmith could fit a key to your existing lock.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Your lock is from The Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. whose origins go back to 1888. You have a lever tumbler "cupboard lock" of which they made numerous varieties. The bad news is that although the successor company, CCL Security Products; is still very much in business, that type of lock has been discontinued for decades! Perhaps you could find a used one on eBay or elsewhere? A locksmith could fit a key to your existing lock.

Pete Schifferli

Thanks so much for the reply Pete. I was certain that it was no longer made and was planning on looking for it on ebay. Would you happen to know the times they made this lock? It also would help in dating the medical cabinets I have.

Thanks so much for the reply Pete. I was certain that it was no longer made and was planning on looking for it on ebay. Would you happen to know the times they made this lock? It also would help in dating the medical cabinets I have.
    My guess would be 1930s-1960s. See thumbnail of catalog page showing 0749 and 0750 as possibilities.

Pete SchifferliClick image for larger version. 

Name:	CclCat1960sPg14.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	14348

My guess would be 1930s-1960s. See thumbnail of catalog page showing 0749 and 0750 as possibilities.

Pete SchifferliClick image for larger version. 

Name:	CclCat1960sPg14.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	14348
    Thank you! Would you happen to have a little larger scan of that catalog?

I don't see a way to edit my previous post but here are a couple more photos of both locks. I was able to scrape away the rust on the one and make out what looks like a "80" and "P8" . It appears the locks are different then given the numbers/letters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FullSizeRender (2).jpg   FullSizeRender (3).jpg   FullSizeRender (4).jpg  

I don't see a way to edit my previous post but here are a couple more photos of both locks. I was able to scrape away the rust on the one and make out what looks like a "80" and "P8" . It appears the locks are different then given the numbers/letters
    Probably not original to the cabinets, looks like an amateurish installation.

Pete Schifferli

Thank you! Would you happen to have a little larger scan of that catalog?
    If you send me your eMail addie, I will give you a better image. My contact: PschiffeATaol.com change AT to @.

Pete Schifferli

Probably not original to the cabinets, looks like an amateurish installation.

Pete Schifferli
    Well I know there's surgical tape on the one...not sure why but put on from the hospital it came from. These were sitting for 30 yrs in an old building before it was torn down. Who knows maybe back then some maintenance man replaced the locks. Unknown as I can't even track down the maker of the cabinet :(.

Unless I am mistaken. the keycode is under the top screw. 1WC__8

Thread Information