Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Chantrell lock may not be a Chantrell after all

I was last on this forum in July asking about Chantrell locks. It appears that I was wrong and it is not a Chantrell lock. I have attached a photo of the cylinder in hopes that someone will recognize it. There is a date of 10/18/1892 on the cylinder which is 1 3/8 long and 1 5/16 in diameter. There seems to be some letters on the faceplate which may be CHOA?D. Does anyone recognize this lock? I would really like to get keys for it made. The former respondent did suggest some blanks, but they are far to wide to work in the cylinder. My fault entirely as I misidentified the maker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lock.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by LBHmanager View Post
    I was last on this forum in July asking about Chantrell locks. It appears that I was wrong and it is not a Chantrell lock. I have attached a photo of the cylinder in hopes that someone will recognize it. There is a date of 10/18/1892 on the cylinder which is 1 3/8 long and 1 5/16 in diameter. There seems to be some letters on the faceplate which may be CHOA?D. Does anyone recognize this lock? I would really like to get keys for it made. The former respondent did suggest some blanks, but they are far to wide to work in the cylinder. My fault entirely as I misidentified the maker.
    Can't tell anything from your image, I looked through the many patents issued on 10/18/1892 and didn't see anything that sounds like a lock cylinder:
    http://www.google.com/patents/sitema...y/1892_50.html
    Early pin tumbler locks of that era typically used a very thin key like the long obsolete P & F Corbin 98-1/2, Ilco equivalent 1002B:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1002b-228x228.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	14333
    Pete Schifferli

Default RE: ID of cylinder

That is Chicago Hardware Co. (not to be confused with Chicago Lock Co)

Keyblank #1024

The patent for the lock has to do with a novel masterkeying concept, your lock is not masterkeyed though. The patent date(s) were stamped on all their cylinders.

--Vince

Quote Originally Posted by peerless View Post
    That is Chicago Hardware Co. (not to be confused with Chicago Lock Co)Keyblank #1024
    The patent for the lock has to do with a novel masterkeying concept, your lock is not masterkeyed though. The patent date(s) were stamped on all their cylinders.--Vince
    Unfortunately the Old Ilco 1024 blank is obsolete, see thumbnail attached. Known substitutions are CG-9 Curtis, 133 Keil and 2604 Graham, also all long obsolete. An olde time key shop might still have a few of those blanks available.

Name:	OldIlco1024.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	14334
    Pete Schifferli

PETE! You don't have one or know someone that does?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    PETE! You don't have one or know someone that does?
    Dean, there is a supplier named Liam, I'm sure you know who he is; that might have it. But he only sells to bonafide locksmiths so I can't post the info here.

Pete Schifferli

Yes, I know him but you and one other in NY seem to have everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Unfortunately the Old Ilco 1024 blank is obsolete, see thumbnail attached. Known substitutions are CG-9 Curtis, 133 Keil and 2604 Graham, also all long obsolete. An olde time key shop might still have a few of those blanks available.

Name:	OldIlco1024.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	14334
    Pete Schifferli
    I picked up a couple of blanks for my Chicago Hardware cylinder at a collector show a few years back. You don't see the locks or cylinders any more but the keys do sow up from time to time.
    BBE

Thread Information