Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "City of Chicago" Logo Yale Padlock - Info Wanted

Hello, I got this padlock off eBay. Hopefully someone else has one of these and has a Key that works and can send me a picture or the bitting. Also any other info about these would be helpful.

Here is a picture of the padlock: "City of Chicago" Logo Yale Padlock
    Keyway is Yale "FL" or Ilco 997PA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CITYofCHICAGO.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	310.1 KB 
ID:	14325

THANKS!

Wouldn't they all have different bittings?

Quote Originally Posted by kwoswalt99 View Post
    Wouldn't they all have different bittings?
    probably not since they don't have blind codes or any other markings on them... how would anyone know which key fit which padlock if they were all different bittings ... but i dunno since there is only one other collector that has one of these and he didn't have a working key either.

once i get some blanks i'll try to impression it.

they seem to be using mul-t-locks in Chicago now so there really isn't much info on these except that they are for the city of chicago.

oh well, the search continues.....

Most of Yale padlock have code number on there key plug. Would be nice if can show picture of keyway or bottom of padlock....Timothy....

Nope, No blind code, if it did I would have looked it up.

Guess can win it all as I do have some that don't have blind code. Yes hard to impression it those lock only if got lucky. What I did is pick the lock open and feel the pins of what is longer and shorter to give me some idea of what will look like to impression the key....Timothy....

I know it's different than those yale push key ones, but maybe there's some way to take it apart?

Quote Originally Posted by kwoswalt99 View Post
    I know it's different than those yale push key ones, but maybe there's some way to take it apart?

its not meant to be taken apart and i really dont want to mess up the nice patina,,, it cleaned up real good.

seeing that it's unlocked makes it easy to take apart. might be wise to see a locksmith. being a city lock it probably has been masterkeyed. a locksmith
    could rekey it for you. different from a city regulated key system.

Any fool would be stupid enough to take any Antique padlock apart. I have about 6 of those padlock that impression to working. key. Problem with most locksmith they can't be patient enough to impression any lock. It does take time to just to get working key. Like I said before if you can pick the lock to open look inside the keyway to see what the pins level are or use a pick to feel the pins of which is longer or shorter. Once you feel which pins is longer or shorter than try to impression as you will know which is longer or shorter on your blank key to file down one step at time....Timothy.....

Thread Information