Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    You need to take picture of the lock on the bottom so we can see what the keyway look like.....Timothy......

As mentioned previously, the keyway is Yale FL, Ilco 997PA. I have plenty of blanks already.

there is no blind code, nothing marked on the plug, there are no markings on the padlock suggesting a blind code

I'm really just looking for someone else that has another one of these logo padlocks so I can get a copy of their key.

I really don't want to damage it with more impressioning attempts...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacGnG View Post
    As mentioned previously, the keyway is Yale FL, Ilco 997PA. I have plenty of blanks already.
    there is no blind code, nothing marked on the plug, there are no markings on the padlock suggesting a blind code
    I'm really just looking for someone else that has another one of these logo padlocks so I can get a copy of their key.
    I really don't want to damage it with more impressioning attempts...
    Thanks
    That keyway would be RN11F1L if six pin. This is a restricted keyway used by US Forest Service (5-pin version RN8F1L) and others. Ilco 997PA is similar but not identical and will fit is the keyway is well worn.

Pete

Default "City of Chicago" Logo Yale Padlock - Info Wanted

Sorry to heard the padlock giving you hard time. You need to walk away from the padlock give some rest on it. Just maybe the padlock set as Master key. Have you try to pick the lock..??...Here how I do to most of the padlock that I can't impression. I pick the lock open and hold on the tension tool to open. Than find some kind of drill bit or anything that will fit in the shackle hole This way the lock will not close. Now all you have to do look into the keyway to see pins. I use a flat steel into the keyway or feeler tip pick to feel each pins to find the longer pin Than take curve pick to find the smaller pins.....Timothy.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yale SB1a.jpg   Yale SB2a.jpg   Yale SB3a.jpg   Yale SB4a.jpg   Yale SB5a.jpg  

Yale SB6a.jpg   Yale SB7a.jpg  

Thanks for the pictures Timothy ... nice idea, i'll give it a try.

Default Timothy has a good point--you can pick and then read the pins to cut a key.

I just realized this thread was back--I wouldn't think of taking that lock apart--but I've done what Timothy described with many old brass padlocks that I didn't want to ruin.

If you can't impression it blindly (In my case I wouldn't bother, never could get the hang of it), pick the lock open and read the tumblers. You'll immediately get a picture of what the finished key should look like in terms of depths, which should help to greatly reduce the number of blanks used up during attempts at cutting a working key.

Default "City of Chicago" Logo Yale Padlock - Info Wanted

Just keep this in mind that it may be hard to pick but again just need to be patient to do it. It may have set up as master key just take the time doing it. I know because sometime I'll pick the lock and will not open. Just it aside for a week and try again and next time you get the lock open. Let us know how will doing.....Timothy.....

Thread Information