Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I know it's different than those yale push key ones, but maybe there's some way to take it apart?

Quote Originally Posted by kwoswalt99 View Post
    I know it's different than those yale push key ones, but maybe there's some way to take it apart?

its not meant to be taken apart and i really dont want to mess up the nice patina,,, it cleaned up real good.

seeing that it's unlocked makes it easy to take apart. might be wise to see a locksmith. being a city lock it probably has been masterkeyed. a locksmith
    could rekey it for you. different from a city regulated key system.

Default "City of Chicago" Logo Yale Padlock - Info Wanted

Any fool would be stupid enough to take any Antique padlock apart. I have about 6 of those padlock that impression to working. key. Problem with most locksmith they can't be patient enough to impression any lock. It does take time to just to get working key. Like I said before if you can pick the lock to open look inside the keyway to see what the pins level are or use a pick to feel the pins of which is longer or shorter. Once you feel which pins is longer or shorter than try to impression as you will know which is longer or shorter on your blank key to file down one step at time....Timothy.....

Sorry forgot to add that there are time you may have to take it apart of if feel something not working right or the lock it all to rusty inside and out. I think I have two of them to take a apart because the pin spring was rusty and broken. Also the shackle was really bad rusty. I re-pinning the lock and clean up the shackle the lock working fine with working key...Timothy....

These types of locks do not come apart unless you drill the pins holding the body together. I am not going to do that to such a nice padlock.

You have good point of not doing it but being patient of impression the key one step as time even it mean taken a whole month doing it. As you don't have to drill out the two pins. Go to This Forum "PADLOCK" to My Old Yale 853 padlock read what Femurat post but there are other way to do it to. Only if you have to.....Timothy.....

i'm not a fool. I have quite afew 830 840 850 and 2 870's very easy and simple to pick and rekey
    an they all are in fine condition
    thank you
    bicentric' too

thanks everyone, i will try to impression when i get some blanks. if all else fails i guess i'll take it apart.

thanks folks

It does take someone that can impression well and knows the true skill of key making to fit keys to most locks. I agree many don't want to spend the time to learn well this skill. Once learned it only takes a bit of time.

On the topic of the lock. It is possible this lock was master keyed. So even if a key was fit to another lock it might not fit this lock unless by chance the master was discovered.

Thread Information