Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default "City of Chicago" Logo Yale Padlock - Info Wanted

Sorry forgot to add that there are time you may have to take it apart of if feel something not working right or the lock it all to rusty inside and out. I think I have two of them to take a apart because the pin spring was rusty and broken. Also the shackle was really bad rusty. I re-pinning the lock and clean up the shackle the lock working fine with working key...Timothy....

These types of locks do not come apart unless you drill the pins holding the body together. I am not going to do that to such a nice padlock.

You have good point of not doing it but being patient of impression the key one step as time even it mean taken a whole month doing it. As you don't have to drill out the two pins. Go to This Forum "PADLOCK" to My Old Yale 853 padlock read what Femurat post but there are other way to do it to. Only if you have to.....Timothy.....

i'm not a fool. I have quite afew 830 840 850 and 2 870's very easy and simple to pick and rekey
    an they all are in fine condition
    thank you
    bicentric' too

thanks everyone, i will try to impression when i get some blanks. if all else fails i guess i'll take it apart.

thanks folks

It does take someone that can impression well and knows the true skill of key making to fit keys to most locks. I agree many don't want to spend the time to learn well this skill. Once learned it only takes a bit of time.

On the topic of the lock. It is possible this lock was master keyed. So even if a key was fit to another lock it might not fit this lock unless by chance the master was discovered.

Default Definitely do not take it apart if possible

First of all, I've never seen a Yale with that logo before. Perhaps it is like the Yale USFS locks, where most or all take the same key? A lot of the old government and utility locks were like that.

The problem for some of us in a situation like this is that impressioning can be maddeningly difficult. Perhaps the lock can be picked and the pin depths read prior to impressioning. This is the only way I've ever had any luck with this method. I wouldn't take apart a rare lock unless I had no other choice, since disassembling to rekey will destroy the original finish. There's no way to avoid it when removing/replacing the pins that hold the lock together. If the lock is really rare or valuable, it might be better to leave it as is, even if no key can be made.

Sometimes driving out the pins from a common Yale 850 or 840 and rekeying it is the only way to obtain a working padlock. I've encountered several of these that were so full of dirt and corrosion that taking them apart was the only way to fix them. Even if the outside is in great shape, the inside can be a corroded mess.

Just as what Dean and Yale 7750 has said. It take time and would be a good idea not to take apart. I have this Yale padlock what I said last time just to post a picture to give idea of why I took it apart. It was very rusty and corrosion. After clean rust and corrosion off the shackle really look bad but should work for now and has a Yale key to re-pinning the lock. Put all together the lock work just fine. Hope you let us know how your plan work to get working key for your padlock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rust Yale Padlock 6.jpeg   Rust Yale Padlock 5.jpeg   Rust Yale Padlock 4.jpeg   Rust Yale Padlock 3.jpeg   Rust Yale Padlock 2.jpeg  

Rust Yale Padlock 1.jpeg   Rust Yale Padlock 8.jpeg  

Default Bump.

Just wanted to bump my old thread... maybe someone has one of these padlocks with a key that i can get copy of.

i was "trying" to impression it the other night and realized that it has those pins with the real tiny serrations... i think this might be why ive had problems fitting a key to it. :-/

anyway, if someone can help out with a pic of a key, or a code, that would be great. thanks.

You need to take picture of the lock on the bottom so we can see what the keyway look like.....Timothy......

Thread Information