Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

4turnstotheright Guest

Default Chubb's Patent Hasp

Hello and thank you in anticipation. I have recently acquired an antique cash box fitted with a Chubb patent hasp lock. My concern is that it was sourced from India and may be a fake. There is nothing about the box or lick that indicates it is not legit, with the exception that I can not find so much as a picture of something similar.

any advice would be appreciated.

Anthony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

What an amazing lock - Rare at a guess as I've never heard mention of it before.

All looks to be legit- the build quality and the finish, the Chubb markings and the font used look to be genuine Chubb. I'd be amazed if that was an Indian copy, they're normally pretty obvious even from a distance.

The fact it's marked 'detector' and the appearance of the keyhole look like the key fits in a barrel and curtain. Have you got the key? When the key is turned in the lock you should see the 'barrel' part enclosing the the key pin turn, and the 'curtain' part shut off the bottom of the keyhole as it turns.

Hopefully someone might have references from the number or even an old catalogue with information for you, it's an unusual piece.

4turnstotheright Guest

Default Chubb's Patent Hasp

Thanks MaxVaultage,

Appreciate your reply.

I was reluctant to buy from India as I had heard about fake locks being prevalent. It appeared that too much effort had gone into the whole piece to be fake. The cost didn't justify the effort. What did concern me was when I offered almost quarter the asking price and it was accepted.

Yes I do have the key and the lock appears to operate as the Detector should. I do not know if it the earlier detector requiring a regulator key or not so I have not tested it for fear of locking it permanently.

I look forward to hearing anything that anyone has to offer. I can supply photos of the actual cash box if anyone is interested.

It's fine. 100 % genuine. It's not a common pattern but not super rare either as it's quite late - being early 1900's.

4turnstotheright Guest

Thank you Old Lock

What an amazing lock - Rare at a guess as I've never heard mention of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by 4turnstotheright View Post
    Thanks MaxVaultage,

Appreciate your reply.

I was reluctant to buy from India as I had heard about fake locks being prevalent. It appeared that too much effort had gone into the whole piece to be fake. The cost didn't justify the effort. What did concern me was when I offered almost quarter the asking price and it was accepted.

Yes I do have the key and the lock appears to operate as the Detector should. I do not know if it the earlier detector requiring a regulator key or not so I have not tested it for fear of locking it permanently.

I look forward to hearing anything that anyone has to offer. I can supply photos of the actual cash box if anyone is interested.
    It would be nice to see the box in its entirety if it's not too much trouble.

Thread Information