Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default An old padlock with a chrysanthemum

I bought this lock at a garage sale for a dollar. About 5 years ago. I tried to find ones similar online without a lot of luck. I would really appreciate any information
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

A little more info. There are no makers marks, or any marks that I could find. It looks like it was guilded and that has mostly rubbed off. It seems like it would still work if I had the key.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Any educated guesses? It don't really matter. I like to look at it and imagine what it might be for. In reality, I'm guessing it's not really that old, because of the key hole shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratterberry View Post
    Any educated guesses? It don't really matter. I like to look at it and imagine what it might be for. In reality, I'm guessing it's not really that old, because of the key hole shape.
    From my experience decorated locks of that type were made in great numbers from 1900 to around 1930. The three primary makers were Eagle, Fraim, Corbin. But, it could have also been Slaymaker. The only way to be sure is to look at the rivets on your lock and a known lock of one of those brands. A math will probably be the best identifier.

Yes, your warded lock should still work. That it is locked indicates the locking spring is still working.
    BBE.

try page 37 of don stewart's 3rd edition of poormans story and ornamental padlocks

sorry,it says slaymaker

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Thread Information