Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Miller Keyless Lock

I was helped with opening a Gougler combination lock about five years ago. I need help once again. This time it's with a Miller Keyless Lock that I found at an antique shop. The serial numbers on the back are
    1.825.467 1.929.598. The pointer dial is imprinted with the name WESTINGHOUSE and the shackle is stamped with the number 4018. Aside from the "detents" the pointer rotates with no dead stops in either direction.Thanks

Default Here's a image of my lock

Perhaps someone can help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MILLER LOCK.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	14276

The serial numbers on the back are actually the US Patent numbers. These are the same on nearly all Miller/Gougler/Miller padlocks.

I don't have any information on code number 4018.

In many cases where a large group was manufactured for a big customer (schools, factories), the factory seems to have used code numbers unique to that order. A code book was sent to the customer and the ordinary codes simply do not apply. That might be the case here.

Rosha, Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but I've been out of town. Now the bad news, the only codes I have are for 3 digit serial numbers and 4 digit serial numbers. However, on the 4 digit serial number locks the second number will be either a 1 or a 2 where yours is a "0". More than likely, your lock was made for the Westinghouse factory with their own proprietary serial numbers which were never made available to the public. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    The serial numbers on the back are actually the US Patent numbers. These are the same on nearly all Miller/Gougler/Miller padlocks.

I don't have any information on code number 4018.

In many cases where a large group was manufactured for a big customer (schools, factories), the factory seems to have used code numbers unique to that order. A code book was sent to the customer and the ordinary codes simply do not apply. That might be the case here.
    Thanks for taking the time to explain that about large group runs. I'll keep hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    Rosha, Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but I've been out of town. Now the bad news, the only codes I have are for 3 digit serial numbers and 4 digit serial numbers. However, on the 4 digit serial number locks the second number will be either a 1 or a 2 where yours is a "0". More than likely, your lock was made for the Westinghouse factory with their own proprietary serial numbers which were never made available to the public. Mark
    Thanks for that information. I have a Gougler with a three number combination. Looks like I fiddle with the Miller while watching a movie.

Default Case stamping

I just found the number B3868 that i previously overlooked stamped into the side if the case.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0588.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	833.9 KB 
ID:	14285
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0588a.jpg  

Sorry Rosha, Like I said earlier, the second number will have to be either a 1 or a 2 for the listed codes. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Miller Keyless Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreykpena View Post
    I have had no luck trying to figure out any JB Miller click locks. I have some with 4 numbers and 5 numbers starting left others right. And then there is the Automatic 29 nightmare that does not stop turning right or left just turns forever and it has the dot index you start from but never know if it starts right or left. Does not take but about an hour your fingers are too soar to continue for at least 2 days. Number 248 on the shackle and that is one that is missing in the Reed books. This one is as bad as they get. Works like a maze right number of clicks the shackle actuator drops down to the next level until it gets to the end it opens. If you had to use one of these many times a day you would look for a different lock to use soon.

locksmith in clearwater
    Thanks, I'll keep trying. The number B3868 stamped on the case still has me wondering as to what it means.

Thread Information