Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default My First BRAMAH-ish Lock

I've always wanted a BRAMAH but never had an excuse to buy one.
    Now I'm thinking to build a small wooden jewelry box for my girlfriend, and give her its key to wear as a necklace.
    So I saw this lock for sale on a popular UK auctions site, and bought it.

57 1 zpsk2b4i7ag 1

57 2 zpsvigrdyhq 1

57 3 zpsjyb7ayr9 1

After a few weeks I got it and was very excited. The lock is missing the key so I need one. First of all I disassembled it and took some pictures and measurements. The keyhole is 5 mm in diameter, the key stem may be long 3 mm, the hole in the key stem should be 2 mm in diameter. All the 4 sliders are working, on the first one there's a bit of wear where it contacts the key. The spring is nice and strong. I think finding a key is quite difficult, so I need to make one. I just need some brass, a couple needle files and some time. Hope to update the thread soon.

2015081920183332 zpsvc8rjr9m 1

2015081920183558 zps2sl5wivl 1

2015081920183852 zpsmhzmcrfw 1

2015081920184148 zpshpjo0ffn 1

2015081920184228 zpspdhw55fo 1

2015081920184339 zpss8q42hme 1

Any info about the lock age and model?

Cheers :)

Nice idea making a jewellery box for the missus with the key as a pendant. Hope this doesn't pee on the barbecue but i really don't think that's a factory Bramah. I saw that one on eBay as well, there's been a lot of the smaller cabinet locks lately and 99% looked generic copies, but I'm sure others can be more specific. It will still make a fun project though, and a nice working lock...don't tell her...

I concur - nice enough lock but not genuine Bramah.

Default My First BRAMAH-ish Lock

Well, You and other people comments convinced me this is a Bramah replica! :-(
    Could an admin of the forum edit my post title, please? I'd change it to "My First BRAMAH-ish Lock".

I'll make the box and key anyway. She's not into locks so the lock brand won't affect the present value in her eyes. It does in mine tho.

Thanks for the info.

Here is the first prototype key I made yesterday evening. I cut a piece of brass and soldered to a tube and sanded the solder excess on the sides. I filed the flag down to size and tested with the disassembled lock. Then filed the four slots in the tube.
    The key works but needs some tinkering. I think I have to check which slot needs a couple file strokes to work smoothly.
    Once the prototype works flawlessly I'll make one with a thicker tube: this one is half a mm thick, I need one at least 4 times thicker. I may end up drilling a 2 mm hole just on the tip of a rod.

Sorry for the blurry pictures but I have to use the old phone since the new one is broken.

2015082020225917 zpstwzettwy 1

2015082020225803 zpsdetqjoxg 1

Default bramah copy

As Oldlock says, a copy, after the patent expired so legal. I gather some of these came from Belgium. Even quite reputable box makers bought copies rather than genuine ones (I have one from an old Betjeman tantalus).

You can still buy genuine new Bramah locks -- the company is still in business, and making cabinet locks, so have yourself a new genuine one. You could even buy a Bramah lock for your door.

Hi chubbbramah, thanks for the suggestion. I know Bramah is still in business. I'm hoping to visit the factory next time I go to London. You can bet I'll buy a souvenir or two...

chiave 3d zpsrrrgijsr 1

Following a suggestion by FrenchKey, I've made a 3D model of the key blank with my PC and sent it to be printed in brass. It's a bit less than 50 euro to get the key printed and shipped to me. I should get it next month. Once I get the key blank I'll make the cuts and hopefully it will work smoothly. Now I can concentrate on the box design.

Cool! These 3-D printing lock& key projects are probably going to get far more commonplace as time goes on. It's definitely an interesting combination of old meets new.

Hope the printed blank fits the lock when you get it, and take your time cutting the slots!

You will probably already know this-
    Best way to cut Bramah slots by hand is with a key-saw blade. You can use it fitted in the saw frame to start with, until you have to tilt it sharply to avoid cutting the other side. Then, you can fit an identical blade into a small pin chuck (also called pin vice) with the blade extended only about 7 or 8 mm and positioned to cut on the inward (forward) stroke. They have 4 small 'jaws' and grip the square blades perfectly and are compact and great for accurate precision work.

You can then make the final short forward cuts perfectly flat to the correct depth needed, this method always produces beautiful straight slots without the bottom rounding from using needle files.

Thanks for the tip MaxVaultage. To be honest I was going to file it with a needle file, so I really appreciate your suggestion.
    I have an x-acto knife handle, that basically is a pin vice.
    I have some very very small hacksaw blades. I think that these are similar to what you described to finish the cut.
    I googled "key-saw blade" and found only circular blades, meant to be used in a key machine. Do you have a picture of said tool?

Thanks again :)

Thread Information