Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Need Escutcheon Key for old 2 door wardrobe

Hi :
    My name is Sher5yl and I just joined .
    I have an antique 2 door wardobe closet with drawers in the middle between the doors and I do not have any escutheon key to open it .
    The wardrobe belonged to my grandmother ,but I can not fi Antiquend the key(s) to open it ? I think Ibdonnelly and I have the same kind of problem ?
    I do not know what type of antique dealer or locksmith thaqt has or makes those type of keys ?
    I live in Atlanta , Ga. and I know how to get to Fairburn ,Ga. , I just don't know who to contact about that type of key ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    Hi :
    My name is Sher5yl and I just joined .
    I have an antique 2 door wardobe closet with drawers in the middle between the doors and I do not have any escutheon key to open it .
    The wardrobe belonged to my grandmother ,but I can not fi Antiquend the key(s) to open it ? I think Ibdonnelly and I have the same kind of problem ?
    I do not know what type of antique dealer or locksmith thaqt has or makes those type of keys ?
    I live in Atlanta , Ga. and I know how to get to Fairburn ,Ga. , I just don't know who to contact about that type of key ?
    Escutcheon key is not a valid key type in locksmith terminology. If you are referring to a key which fits the lock behind a furniture keyhole escutcheon, it is likely a barrel key, see thumbnail attached of one typical version. Most of these locks are simple mechanisms and any larger locksmith shop should be able to make you a key or may even have a pre-cut one which will operate your lock. Now that you know the proper term for that type of key, you should be able to inquire of locksmiths in your area to see which might be able to help.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R-08IL-24B.jpg  

Thread Information