Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Japanese padlock?

I found this in my father's collection and was wondering if anyone had any information about it. I can't seem to find anything... other than what NYK Line is, of course.

lock201 zpsfhyem1zx 1

lock202 zpscuhyut4d 1

lock203 zpsjlyd2jcl 1

If you Google NYKLINE there a lot information about the company. Just maybe you can email or call them about what they use the padlock for...Timothy....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    If you Google NYKLINE there a lot information about the company. Just maybe you can email or call them about what they use the padlock for...Timothy....
    Worth a shot. I found some sort of NYK maritime museum page and sent them a message. Hopefully whoever receives it can read English.

So I contacted the NYK Maritime Museum but they didn't have any information about its use or manufacture... other than they thought it a possibility that the NYK logo was added to consumable goods such as that.

The only thing could think of was just maybe it was what they call Seal Padlock as like they use for container, railroad or mail padlock. Really you do have a nice looking padlock. I have try to look up in the book I has and couldn't find anything come close of what you have. Who know maybe someone will come up with answer for your padlock....Timothy...

So far of what I came up to as this may be New York K Line or New York Kline. K-line as today is America Import & Export Cargo, Ocean Carrier or Railroad Cargo. (Could be use for Railroad in past). Kline as person name Everett Kline have something to do with Safe but nothing on padlock. My question why you call it Japanese Padlock..??..Timothy....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    My question why you call it Japanese Padlock..??..Timothy....
    I didn't know if it was or not, but it was sent back from Japan after WWII along with a rifle and some swords, and it has a Japanese company's name on the front. Anyway, I can't find anything online that looks close enough to hint at a manufacturer.

Thread Information