Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Worsley safe man?

Hi all, just acquired this safe plaque and wondered if anybody could help with some info. It says Geo Worsley, safe man, Brighton and I wondered if this is the same Worsley as the more common Walker and Worsley? If so does anyone know if this was before or after the Walker and Worsley partnership? Many thanks for any information that can be given.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Hi Warren, unlikely I think, as the one I'm thinking of (associated with Triumph works Birmingham and the Triumph lock) was Walker & Worsey, not Worseley.

Default Ooooops!

Yeah woulda helped if I checked the plate I was referring to before, instead of after the question. . . . Duh! My brain hurts..... Thanks for that Max (respect) and apologies to anyone else who has taken the time to listen to my pointless ramble !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

No worries Warren, it's easy done. I think out of John Tann/Robert Tann, George Price/Cyrus Pryce, Samuel Withers/Thomas Withers etc, the Walker & Worsey causes the most confusion. In fact, if my memory serves me right, I think even Tann's 'official safe book' bible mis-spelled that one!

Default Thought I was perfect.

Now my past mistakes are catching up on me by those who must be much younger than myself.

Yes I miss-spelt Worsey in 5th Edition of the Tann Safe Book. I've just noticed that I also miss-spelt Cyrus as Pryce.

I may be off-air for some time due a double dis-embowelling.

Ouch!

Save yourself the punishment safeman, I think everyone would agree we'll allow those 2 and you still keep perfect status.
    In fact it's that long ago I saw a Cyrus, I believed the Pryce spelling anyway

Default Worsley plate

Quite interestingly, this plate was I believe to be a dealer plate. The original safe was in my humble opinion a Phillips & Son produced safe. I have no doubt that they sold on and let the dealer add their own plate.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    Hi all, just acquired this safe plaque and wondered if anybody could help with some info. It says Geo Worsley, safe man, Brighton and I wondered if this is the same Worsley as the more common Walker and Worsley? If so does anyone know if this was before or after the Walker and Worsley partnership? Many thanks for any information that can be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stoner View Post
    Quite interestingly, this plate was I believe to be a dealer plate. The original safe was in my humble opinion a Phillips & Son produced safe. I have no doubt that they sold on and let the dealer add their own plate.

Russ
    A bit of a late entry for this one but.............. does anybody know if this means that its likely to have also used the same Climax detector lock that Phillips were using at the time? That would be handy to know as they're a fairly common escutcheon to get hold of as oppose to not knowing what the heck to use on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stoner View Post

Russ
    A bit of a late entry for this one but.............. does anybody know if this means that its likely to have also used the same Climax detector lock that Phillips were using at the time? That would be handy to know as they're a fairly common escutcheon to get hold of as oppose to not knowing what the heck to use on it.

Post Worsley safe

We have an old safe in our cottage which has the logo of 'George Worsley Safe Man Brighton'. Also a separate royal coat of arms. Part of the cottage was used as a post office in the 1850s and 1860s and then became a bakers shop (the bakery is built on the back). I would be interested to know if the safe dates from the post office period. The only George Worsley I can find in Brighton censuses of the period was a china dealer. I have yet to search directories.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safe_front.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1,008.6 KB 
ID:	16344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safe_George Worsley-01.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	16345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safe_lion & unicorn-01.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	16346

Thread Information