Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Your safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh21 View Post
    We have an old safe in our cottage which has the logo of 'George Worsley Safe Man Brighton'. Also a separate royal coat of arms. Part of the cottage was used as a post office in the 1850s and 1860s and then became a bakers shop (the bakery is built on the back). I would be interested to know if the safe dates from the post office period. The only George Worsley I can find in Brighton censuses of the period was a china dealer. I have yet to search directories.
    It sounds like the logo refers to a local dealer and not the maker.

Can you attach some pictures showing the outside and inside of the safe which might help to establish the actual manufacturer.

Default safe

I tried to attach pictures before but don't know how!!

There you are Leigh, Pictures added to post number 10. Its the png format again, anyone else having problems with this format send the pics to me and I will add them for you.

Thank you Brian! 'Safeman' suggested a picture of the inside too, but I cannot open the door as there is a book shelf in the way! I reckon it is about 1 foot 4 inches deep as we can see the back protruding through the inglenook fireplace wall.

I would think the safe is more likely to have been from the post office days. At one time every post office had to have a "Post Office Approved" safe. That allowed a certain amount of latitude. What the requirements were, I don't know.

Thanks 'Chubby'!

Thread Information