Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks Dean, for nicely formatting the publishing information.

This is the kind of work I do....

IMG 0759 zpsnf0tekp2 1

All machined on my drill press. The key is made from a feathered alloy (not brass). The key will patina naturally in a few weeks.

Neat keyway, I think I have a blank like that hanging on the wall, at work

Default The most comprehensive book you'll ever find on making your own keys.

Nice work Lauren. As one of these day went I have money to spend will try to buy your book. As I know you can made a lot of key for these padlock for your spare time as not to many locksmith do it on there own like of what you do. Yes I love to made key for padlock but as some are very hard to do and lot of work on it....Timothy.....

Absolutely, Timothy. It is a lot of work to make one key. My book describes the processes I use (mainly a drill press) as well as some of my own inventions for decoding many American antique padlocks.

Not being a padlock collector, I wasn't too sure about springing for this book, however since I do make keys, I figured I would learn something from this book. Although the book is heavy on making decoding tools specific to certain padlocks, it includes many pictures showing how the keys are made, completely made from one piece of metal, primarily with grinding discs. The subject of silver soldering is mentioned as not being strong enough for key making. After 40 plus years using silver solder in the locksmithing trade, including making up keys, I can say this is not true. Other than that, this interesting book shows that Lauren exemplifies one of the best traits of a locksmith, ingenuity, and that is rarely found in today's world of remove and replace. Thumbs up on the book. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Not being a padlock collector, I wasn't too sure about springing for this book, however since I do make keys, I figured I would learn something from this book. Although the book is heavy on making decoding tools specific to certain padlocks, it includes many pictures showing how the keys are made, completely made from one piece of metal, primarily with grinding discs. The subject of silver soldering is mentioned as not being strong enough for key making. After 40 plus years using silver solder in the locksmithing trade, including making up keys, I can say this is not true. Other than that, this interesting book shows that Lauren exemplifies one of the best traits of a locksmith, ingenuity, and that is rarely found in today's world of remove and replace. Thumbs up on the book. Doug
    Can someone provide another link to this book? The last one isn't working now. Thanks,
    BBE.

I got myself a copy of Lauren's book, and it is exceptional!!

Default The most comprehensive book you'll ever find on making your own keys.

Doug you got that right about how Lauren make his key. I wish I could have done it but I don't have drill press like Lauren have. There is one thing would like to have 5" X 7" Mini Combo Lathe/Mill. They do sell them about $500 up to $10,000 of what kind machine and size. This may work to make just about any key you want. Just don't have any place to put this at home.....Timothy.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails d3bee4f2b44d9256faeccbc139e080b3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
    Thanks, ordered one today.
    BBE

Thread Information