Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default My First Old Yale... what is it?

I was recently given what seems to be a Herring Hall Marvin strongbox (burglarproof box) with a keyed Yale lock. Some one years ago had, for some unknown reason, melted a hole in the top cover of the lock (if they were able to melt the hole, they were able to disassemble, so they could make a key without a window...) the lock is still functional, and only took about 30min to make a key for... my question is what model is the lock and is it period correct? I figured since the hole was melted, there was no harm in cleaning in up. The box itself is in great condition, (no rust) except some jerk welded padlock tabs, and caster bolts, and drilled four air holes at each end of the box.. I will be removing the additions and filling the holes, in an attempt to make it similar to new. (I am not a restorer, or even close, just run of the mill locksmith..) But if anyone has info on the type of paint used originally or paint schemes, I would appreciate tips. it appears to have been Parchment interior, black exterior. 1920-1940 manufacture possibly.

I can't seem to attach photos...maybe too large?

Default Yale Pictures

Resized... Im not too smart...lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yale.jpg   yale2.jpg   yale3.jpg   yale4.jpg  

Thread Information