Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Pad Locks

Default Pad Locks

What are the best pad locks out there. Or is there any pad locks out there that can not be cut with bolt cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by arielschoenberg View Post
    What are the best pad locks out there. Or is there any pad locks out there that can not be cut with bolt cutters.
    There are many excellent padlocks on the market. As a locksmith I recommend Abus, they offer a full line of padlocks for various applications in many price ranges. One of their most secure is the 83/80 S2 Rock, described as the ultimate heavy duty, steel-bodied padlock which has a 3-1/4" wide hardened steel body and a 9/16" dia. hardened steel shackle. MSRP is $132.00 ea., see image attached:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	536140d872f5e7a78123f487da9d441f.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	14188
    For an excellent general purpose padlock, I recommend their versatile 83 Series 2, my favorite is the 83/45 S2 which retails for $31.90, see pdf at the link:
    http://www.abus.com/us/content/download/23715/633803/file/20141007%20ABUS%2083%20Brochure.pdf

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by arielschoenberg View Post
    In continuation, I have an interesting anecdote regarding Abus. I'm told that some years ago, the fire department in a nearby city asked locksmiths to stop selling Abus as they could not be defeated with their 48" bolt cutters! Regrettably I don't recall the specific model(s) in question.

While the Abus 83 Series 2 I recommended in my previous post are excellent for industrial and institutional applications, there are more competitively priced models which are suitable for general use. A local school district has hundreds of 55/40 1-1/2" economy brass padlocks keyed alike which retail for $9.45 ea. that they find satisfactory for minimum security applications.

Another very secure type of padlock not available from Abus is the 'hockey-puck' style which has a concealed shackle. Available from several manufacturers, we like the CCL Security Products Sesamee 930SFIC and 930KIK which accept interchangeable core or house key cylinders respectively, see link here:
    http://cclsecurity.com/products/sesa...uct.php?id=217

Pete Schifferli

The 'hockey puck' type is the Abus Diskus. I'd be surprised if they'd discontinued it as I've always been under the impression that Abus actually pioneered that type of disc padlock originally.

They always made a wide range of them from basic 4 or 5 pin mechs in the smaller sizes, to larger versions with higher security like the Plus or Pro, and some could be retro-cored if I remember right

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    The 'hockey puck' type is the Abus Diskus. I'd be surprised if they'd discontinued it as I've always been under the impression that Abus actually pioneered that type of disc padlock originally.
    They always made a wide range of them from basic 4 or 5 pin mechs in the smaller sizes, to larger versions with higher security like the Plus or Pro, and some could be retro-cored if I remember right
    au contraire..The "hockey-puck" has no exposed shackle, sometimes described as 'shackleless' and offers the ultimate in protection against force attacks from crow bars, saws and bolt cutters.
    The Abus Diskus is still offered in several versions, but it is considered a 'closed shackle' padlock. This means that the shackle is guarded making it more difficult to attack with a saw or bolt cutters, but only when used the the matching hasp. Unfortunately at least one model of the the Diskus can be easily defeated using a propane torch to melt the cylinder housing, see YouTube video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1h1qWbjggk
    This issue has been reported to Abus' R&D Dept. in Germany by yours truly and I'm told it is under investigation and consideration.

Pete Schifferli

Sorry Pete I should have paid more attention and clicked on your ccl link in your 2nd post. Those chunky disc padlocks are really an adaption of Chubb's old Hercules principle, and yet oddly it only seems to be a few European and USA manufacturers that make them.

The Abus Diskus 'melt attack' was a big surprise- yet another example of manufacturers going with the cheapest production option and getting it wrong. I'm sure their argument would be down to cost and the fact that it's on the lower range of Diskus, but as they've found out, using exposed die-cast zinc components on any padlock is like using marshmallows in a vault wall as barrier material...

Thread Information