Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default I am searching for help with my antique (1890s) Cantrell door lock

I have a house built in 1898 which has a Cantrell door lock. We have managed to lose the key and a couple of locksmiths have told me that I have to replace the lock - which I don't want to do. The lock says 10/18/92 on it and has a 1/1/8" mortise cylinder and is made of brass. Does anyone know where I can find someone who can fix it for me (I am in New England) or find a replacement cylinder? (Need I say, I don't know much about locks? but am trying to learn).

Quote Originally Posted by LBHmanager View Post
    I have a house built in 1898 which has a Cantrell door lock. We have managed to lose the key and a couple of locksmiths have told me that I have to replace the lock - which I don't want to do. The lock says 10/18/92 on it and has a 1/1/8" mortise cylinder and is made of brass. Does anyone know where I can find someone who can fix it for me (I am in New England) or find a replacement cylinder? (Need I say, I don't know much about locks? but am trying to learn).
    I believe you mean Chantrell which was made by the former Chantrell Hardware & Tool Co. of Reading, PA. This company was acquired by The Independent Lock Co. (Ilco) back in the 1930s depression years along with the Lockwood Hardware Mfg. Co. of Norwalk, CT. Manufacturing for both was consolidated in Fitchburg, MA and many of the Chantrell keys are still available from Ilco but cataloged as for Lockwood brand rather than under the Chantrell marque. Tell you locksmith to look at Ilco 1015 and/or 1015A (for Lockwood) which is likely the correct blank from which a key could be easily made for your existing lock cylinder. If that fails, I think any standard 1-5/32" dia. mortise cylinder could be substituted for your existing one.

Pete Schifferli

Default Chantrell lock

Many thanks for the information. I can't wait to talk to the Locksmith!

Thread Information