Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Locksmiths

Default Locksmiths

I just have a question about a locksmith because last week i had accidentally broken the lock but i don't know it was either the pins or the shearline because i had turned the key hole so hard that i just went loose like it was turning 360 without opening the door. Longstory short i called for a locksmith founding out it was about $120 to fix the whole lock. So my Questionis it to work with a locksmith in general or how much should it be to work with one?

Default Locksmith

This is one problem as people always want to know what the good price for any lock. What I don't understand of why fix the lock as maybe just need to re-key the cylinder with new keycut as the way you explain pins and shearline. To me this sound like a worn out key...Also you need to check around with other locksmith as most may give differ price.

This isn't a historical issue.

But to answer your question would require to know the lock that is being worked on, the problem with the lock and several things about how it failed. Locks can cost anywhere from $30 US all the way to $4000. Yes I did say $4000. Now that is not the normal price but a special. Now most locks fall in the $30-1,000 range for house locks here. Now most locks sold are in the $30-300 range. As for cost of the work would require me to know how long the work would take and the skill level of any work is something to take into consideration. Fitting locks to a door properly requires training and knowledge to be secure. So any price we might come up with will not help you much as we can't know truly what it would take to resolve your issue over the internet.

What I suggest is find a locksmith that has been there a long time. They do exist. Not some phone number on the net. See the shop as it is worth your time to know the person securing your home or business is skilled and has everything to lose if they fail to give good customer service. Don't overlook what they offer just on price, they know what works and how long. You can go for the quick fix or the long term fix. Myself I go for the long fix as I never want to deal with it again. But I know I will pay for that.

Quote Originally Posted by paulraman1051 View Post
    I just have a question about a locksmith because last week i had accidentally broken the lock but i don't know it was either the pins or the shearline because i had turned the key hole so hard that i just went loose like it was turning 360 without opening the door. Longstory short i called for a locksmith founding out it was about $120 to fix the whole lock. So my Questionis it to work with a locksmith in general or how much should it be to work with one?
    When you replace a lock, you get a shining piece of hardware in the color and finish you desire. Depending on the manufacturer, the quality, and / or grade of the lock, you will be spending $15.00 to $225.00 per lock. We could provide that lock or you could go to a hardware store. Labor to replace your current hardware cost about $20.00 per door; replacing front door handle sets are about $20.00 more.Should you wish to keep the existing hardware, we could re-key or re-pin the lock(s) providing you a new key rendering the old key to re-cycling. The cost per cylinder is $12.00 each. To summarize, if your locks work well and you feel secure then re-keying in the cost effective choice.

A lot of times of the problem is that the tailpiece is not hooked in correctly or broke. Because was happens if you can put your key in turn it 360 degrees is that tailpiece is latched on correctly. and the which is that no where close to 100 bucks. should be able to go to a hardware store and find that piece for maybe 10 bucks. But if you don't know how to install it then you would need a locksmith

As a locksmith myself, if you are worried about price, why not just fix it yourself?
    Take a trip to a hardware store and find a new lock and have it rekeyed to match your old key, if desired.
    Most knob locks are held in place by 4 screws, just put in a new one.

you dont mention the lock and cylinder type, on some doors that we work on, they use bolt in cylinders to turn the lock, it could have been as simple as the cylinder being misaligned in the lock.

Was it an outside oval, europrofile twin/single etc

Thread Information