Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Utilitarian Barrel Key Help

First, thanks for your time. I've been to a couple of antique stores around town and haven't been able to get any information. I figured I'd take this to the experts.

I live in Atlanta, Ga and found this key in the yard. There's a lot of History in this city so I'm thinking it's pretty old.

I think the key is bronze or brass. It has a utilitarian clover-shaped bow. It looks like it was made hastily (there are a lot of file marks around the perimeter of the bow and shaft). The ring hole is not centered. It has 405 stamped on one side of the bow (they didn't take the time to strike it very well), otherwise there are no markings. It's almost 3.5 inches.

I'm glad I found it and love having it around. I just wish I could put a story behind it because it looks so interesting. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

*History of the area* There are a lot of trains and tracks in my neighborhood. There is also an old Civil War fort about a mile away from my house.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1134.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	14132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1135.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	14133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1137.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	14134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1136.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	14135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1144.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	14136
    Last edited by Tumi; 13-07-15 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumi View Post
    First, thanks for your time. I've been to a couple of antique stores around town and haven't been able to get any information. I figured I'd take this to the experts.
    I'm no expert, but the fact that it is a bronze barrel key suggests that it might be a "railroad coach key", see thumbnail from Graham Mfg. Co. ca.1944.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GrahamRailroadCoachKeyBlanks.jpg  

Thanks Pete! The one on the right looks similar to the one I posted. Do you know if Graham Mfg. would have stamped their name in the key? It makes sense with all of the old train tracks around this area. I'll try to investigate more in this vein. Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumi View Post
    Thanks Pete! The one on the right looks similar to the one I posted. Do you know if Graham Mfg. would have stamped their name in the key? It makes sense with all of the old train tracks around this area. I'll try to investigate more in this vein. Thanks again for your help.
    It appears that unlike their cylinder key blanks, which were embossed with The Graham Mfg. Co. Derby, Conn USA; their bit and flat keys had no markings. Note that Graham was once one of the largest manufacturers of aftermarket key blanks in the country who went out of business in the 1950s. They would not have produced the railroad coach lock and the original key might have had the name of the actual maker, yours is likely a duplicate.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information