Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Mallory Wheeler & Co Folding Key

I have an antique folding skeleton key from M.W. & Co (Mallory Wheeler)that appears to be a key blank (uncut). Judging by it's size, I am wondering if this is a prison/jail key. Does anyone recognize the type of lock this might have been used on? Also I am guessing this is 1800's but the company was in business until 1916 or so

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A20150703_130645.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	14101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a20150703_130848.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	14102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a20150703_150859.jpg 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	14103
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 293266_257542684279365_1386940345_n.jpg  
    Last edited by Metwerks; 09-07-15 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metwerks View Post
    I have an antique folding skeleton key from M.W. & Co (Mallory Wheeler)that appears to be a key blank (uncut). Judging by it's size, I am wondering if this is a prison/jail key. Does anyone recognize the type of lock this might have been used on? Also I am guessing this is 1800's but the company was in business until 1916 or so
    Folding key blanks were in use in the later 19th and early 20th century. Sometimes called "jack knife" or "store door" keys, I believe the theory is that they would take up less space in the pocket or purse. See attached thumbnail from the Graham Mfg. Co. ca. 1948 showing several styles. The large size of your sample and the fact that it is apparently made of brass indicates it probably did have a special use of some sort, perhaps a mausoleum?

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GrahamFoldingKeyBlanks.jpg  

Default Mallory Wheeler & Co Folding Key

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A20150703_130645.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	14101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a20150703_130848.jpg 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	14102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a20150703_150859.jpg 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	14103
    I have a similar key with minor differences. The name Mallory, Wheeler & Company would date your key between 1865 and 1913. I believe your key is of the store door variety.
    Merchants and other businesses needed heavy doors that could withstand a heavy blow. Since the rim lock was mounted on the inside of the door, a long key was required. The key was made to fold to make it easier to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    I have a similar key with minor differences. The name Mallory, Wheeler & Company would date your key between 1865 and 1913. I believe your key is of the store door variety.
    Merchants and other businesses needed heavy doors that could withstand a heavy blow. Since the rim lock was mounted on the inside of the door, a long key was required. The key was made to fold to make it easier to carry.
    Thanks Scott, good info - I was going off memory when I said 1916 but at least I was close. The company closed its doors and I was just guessing that the shear weight, that it was industrial/commercial of some sort and more likely pre-1900 with 35 years on the south and 13 years on the north.

I cannot find anything online showing the type of lock, so I appreciate the store front potential and I will look further.

I cannot find anything online showing the type of lock, so I appreciate the store front potential and I will look further.
    About thirty years ago the late Don Stewart of Key Collectors International did a large number of old hardware catalog reprints. Among those were Mallory-Wheeler, 1901, 79 pages (MW-1) and Mallory-Wheeler, 1891, 34 pages (MW-2). Some of those old reprints can still be purchased from Richard Chenovick, you might want to contact him regarding availibility if interested:
    Richard Chenovick
    1491 Sycamore Canyon Rd.
    Santa Barbara, CA 93108-1848
    eMail: rchenovickATjuno.com change AT to @

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    About thirty years ago the late Don Stewart of Key Collectors International did a large number of old hardware catalog reprints. Among those were Mallory-Wheeler, 1901, 79 pages (MW-1) and Mallory-Wheeler, 1891, 34 pages (MW-2). Some of those old reprints can still be purchased from Richard Chenovick, you might want to contact him regarding availibility if interested:
    Richard Chenovick
    1491 Sycamore Canyon Rd.
    Santa Barbara, CA 93108-1848
    eMail: rchenovickATjuno.com change AT to @

Pete Schifferli

Thank you so much Pete

Most of the MW&Co brass / steel folding keys I have seen have an 1869 patent date.

I noticed that with the 2 for sale on ebay. Mine definitely DOES NOT but unsure what that means (pre patent or something made years later)

Thanks Scott, good info - I was going off memory when I said 1916 but at least I was close. The company closed its doors and I was just guessing that the shear weight, that it was industrial/commercial of some sort and more likely pre-1900 with 35 years on the south and 13 years on the north.

I have a copy of Stewart's 1901 catalog reprint and it's all padlocks. If you contact Chenovick for the other catalog, be sure to ask if it shows rim locks too.
    Here's a picture of a Mallory-Wheeler store door lock with folding key. It's not the same as yours, but will give you an idea of how the lock looked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCAN0856.JPG  

Thread Information