Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Padlock with two keyholes: Need an expert to inform me on this lock

Hi I'm heather and I found it buried in a barn in a metal box that wasn't locked...lol can find anything like it on Internet . I heard heavy equipment lock, old jail lock,wagon wheel lock and railroad lock...? It has no markings on it at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by deadlolls View Post
    Hi I'm heather and I found it buried in a barn in a metal box that wasn't locked...lol can find anything like it on Internet . I heard heavy equipment lock, old jail lock,wagon wheel lock and railroad lock...? It has no markings on it at all.
    I'm no expert on antique padlocks but looks like it might be hand made. Padlocks with two key holes are rare but often for dual-custody (where both keys are needed like a safety deposit box) or joint-custody and/or masterkeyed (where either of two different keys is used) to open. My two cents.

Pete Schifferli

Those keys look like blanks -better pictures would help....
    A very simple mechanism would be incompatible with 2 persons being required for security to simultaneously operate the lock.
    If both keys are needed to open it then maybe it is a lockout padlock where for safety, a valve or switch requires two people to unlock it, but high security is not necessary...or if either key opens the padlock then it is a way of having 2 different sets of keys open a communal gate lock perhaps.

Fairly modern indian / pakistan fantasy piece.

Gate lock. Common in the middle east.

Thread Information