Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Advice needed to reverse engineer the key for Freytag German box lock

Dear Forum,

An old family heirloom has a German-made lock marked Freytag on it. The lock looks functional but the key is missing. I have the ability to manufacture a 3D CAD designed key for it, but I am not sure what the shape or dimensions should be, nor can I find any information on this manufacturer online.

I would very much appreciate any advice that would help me make a key that makes this lock functional. Some pictures are attached.

-Ali
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lock_2.JPG   Lock_1.JPG   Lock_3.JPG  

Interesting... I believe I have not seen a "Freytag" lock before. It does sadly not ring any bell (yet). My locksmith friend Ralf has some older box and cupboard locks in stock, I can maybe check with him if the name rings any bell. He could probably make a key for that lock I am sure (he is a "Schlossermeister" - master locksmith).

Sorry I could not help you more but I am sure one of the other members can

Adrian

Thanks, Adrian. I will be eager to hear what other experts suggest. I thought it would be fun to fabricate the key myself in a CNC machine if I can figure out the dimensions, but if the only way is to have a master locksmith make one I am willing to do that also.

Quote Originally Posted by AliD View Post
    Thanks, Adrian. I will be eager to hear what other experts suggest. I thought it would be fun to fabricate the key myself in a CNC machine if I can figure out the dimensions, but if the only way is to have a master locksmith make one I am willing to do that also.
    The easiest way to get a key is to have a locksmith use a tubular pick to open it and then decode the pick to cut a working key.
    BBE.

The lock in question does not appear to be a tubular lock, the advice from BBE will not work.

That said, a locksmith should easily be able to fit a key to that lock, especially if he has a blank key that fits, or can be filed down to fit.

...Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mercury View Post
    The lock in question does not appear to be a tubular lock, the advice from BBE will not work.

That said, a locksmith should easily be able to fit a key to that lock, especially if he has a blank key that fits, or can be filed down to fit.

...Mark
    Ooops, you are correct, posted in the wrong thread.
    BBE.

That lock might be opened by some premade keys that some locksmiths have on the hooks. It looks to be a single lever lock so even then it is just finding a blank.

Thread Information