Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Chubb padlock, Antique Brass

Hi. I have an "old" solid brass padlock and key – (see pics if you haven’t already). I've had this thing for 20 years now.
    It was used in the Fremantle Prison in Western Australia. The Prison was built between 1851 – 1859 and decommissioned in the early 1990s.
    I’m assuming that’s when the lock was put in place – as you can see the “staple” has been worn down by repeated locking of the cell door.

From what I’ve read, Chubb got the Royal Seal to manufacture locks for His Majesty’s Prisons in 1823. There are no serial numbers on this lock that I can see. (There is a tiny rectangle by the key slide but my magnifying glass isn't powerful enough to read the numbers - or I'm blind)

I’ve sent pics of weight in both grams (600)and ounces(12.15)

Now to my point of emailing you. I have been unable to find exact info about this lock or a value – vague or otherwise. Are you able to advise on this, please?

Kind Regards

Paul Fraser
    Nelson
    New Zealand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc325932.jpg   dsc325933.jpg   dsc325935.jpg   dsc325936.jpg   dsc325937.jpg  

dsc325938.jpg   dsc325939.jpg  

That lock was made between 1946 and 1952.

This can be easily deduced.

Every lock chubb made from 1818 to 1939 had a serial number and address stamp. During the war production was shifted to war work. After the war no serial numbers were generally used and this lock is stamped Makers to the King.

As to value - not sure, not a great deal as it's not very old.

Default Old Brass Lock

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    That lock was made between 1946 and 1952.

This can be easily deduced.

Every lock chubb made from 1818 to 1939 had a serial number and address stamp. During the war production was shifted to war work. After the war no serial numbers were generally used and this lock is stamped Makers to the King.

As to value - not sure, not a great deal as it's not very old.
    Thanks for that info. You mention a serial number!! I have noticed slightly to the left of the key slide there is a very small rectangle with numbers in it that I can't make out - is that how/where the serial numbers were placed?
    Further to your comment about the "stamped Makers to the King" - if you're referring to King George VI who was reigning until 1951/52, he is not the King to whom that seal refers. That seal refers to the King George IV - 1820 - 1830. The right to manufacture locks for the Realm and display "By Appointment To H.M. The King" on the Chubb locks was bestowed on the company in 1823 by the then King. - that's where I got the idea the lock was older.
    I defer to your more extensive knowledge of locks, so gratefully accept the information you've given. Your dating of the lock was also supported by Michael Pitman from the US. As to the value - not particularly important. Learning the history of the lock is much more fun. You guys have a great site. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers
    Paul

Serial numbers on padlocks were generally stamped across the lock, usually with parts of the number to the left and right of the escutcheon.

Locks of the early 1800's are very different in style, shape, markings and finish. The keys also has different shape bows.

Default Old Brass Lock.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Serial numbers on padlocks were generally stamped across the lock, usually with parts of the number to the left and right of the escutcheon.

Locks of the early 1800's are very different in style, shape, markings and finish. The keys also has different shape bows.

Thanks for those added bits of info. Just one more question. For old brass locks - for collectors especially - should the lock be left in it's tarnished state or be cleaned and polished up?
    Cheers

Left in the tarnished state of course. Leave it as original as it is, cleaning is okay as long as the patina is not damaged.

Adrian

Thread Information